1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Bed heating issues again

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by thomas49065, Mar 24, 2017.

1. thomas49065

thomas49065 New Member

Hello,

It has been a year now and things have been clicking along nicely with the R1+ since the bed stopped heating a year ago. Now it wont heat again. Opened it up and found the connector to the RAMPS for the heat bed was scorched and melted this time. Last time it was the power connector on the RAMPS that was scorched. I replaced the RAMPS board with one I had extra from the last time this happened. Still wont heat. I updated the Firmware V2 was best i could figure to use. Still wont heat. Replaced power supply with extra i had from last time. Still wont heat. I have 12v coming out of the power supply going into the RAMPS board. The bed temp reads correct for room temp and will change with my hand on it. Constant zero volts on the bed connector. I am at a loss as I think i have replaced just about everything that could be causing this. Your input as always is very much appreciated.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

well, good work troubleshooting although there is no way this could be firmware so that was not a step you needed to do.
    It is probably another bad RAMPS board although there is a chance it could be the Arduino.

There are only so many parts :) It has to be one. In this case if you can't get the RAMPS to show 12v on the output for the heater (with the heater disconnected naturally to rule out a shorted heater) then it has to be one of those two boards.

I had a bad RAMPS recently and bought two replacements only to send one of them back because it was birth-defective.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

And in all fairness if I had not bought them via Amazon Prime I would not have even bothered to send one back. Given how cheap they are from 3rd party sources I just keep extras around..