1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Bed isn't moving.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by lowside, Oct 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lowside

lowside New Member

I just received my Robo and I'm trying to work through the online setup guide. I've gone through all the Repitier configuration, however when I try to manually jog the printer on any of the axes there is no movement at all. I get a bit of humming noise/electrical whine if I try to move in the positive direction on any axis but that's it. If I click to move in a negative direction on any axis I get no reaction at all.

As some basic trouble shooting here's what I've tried:
    1. Made sure that the bed moves freely. I can slide the bed in the X/Y directions with just a slight bit of drag from the steppers, feels very similar to my ShapeOko router. I haven't messed much with the Z axis, but the threaded rods seem to turn freely.
    2. Swapped out my USB cables based on advice from an earlier thread. I've tried 3 different cables and several different USB ports on my PC with the same results each time.
    3. Tested connectivity from Repetier to the printer by manually turning on the heated bed and and extruder. Both seem to heat up just fine, I can feel the heat and see the temp readings rising in Repetier.
    One other thing is I keep seeing the following sorts of log messages in Repetier when I try to move any axis in the positive direction:
    15:25:11.844 : echo:endstops hit: Z:0.00​
    15:25:15.620 : echo:endstops hit: Y:0.00​
    15:25:19.030 : echo:endstops hit: X:0.00​
    I've verified that none of the endstop switches are currently being contacted by the stops on any of the axes.
    I'm afraid I'm at a loss for what to do next, so any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. lowside

lowside New Member

Well I may have solved my own problem. After poking around clicking on different things in Repetier I finally hit the home button on the manual control tab and almost fell out of my chair when the Robo started moving.

I guess (and this is entirely speculation on my part) that hitting the home button got around the endstops issue somehow? Maybe Repetier doesn't allow you to do manual jogging until it knows where it is?

At any rate it seems to be working now and I can manually jog all the axes with no issues. Hopefully this'll help if someone else is having a similar issue.

3. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Did the same thing :) Took me like a half hour to figure out that the home button is required for it to start moving. I believe the numbers show in Red if it doesn't know it's position and requires a home to fix.

4. lowside

lowside New Member

Heh, glad to know I'm not the only one :). Probably worth updating the online getting started guide to add a note about it just to help new users. I think the way that the instructions read it tells you to manually jog each axis and THEN hit the home button.

5. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Yup I let him know to clarify. Kinda sucks that the guides already printed out but it is what it is

6. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

That is an oversight which I can see occurring very easily. When things are first turned on there is nothing to tell the computer in what position any of the motors are becasue of the fact that the user can play around with them. You will find that if the computer does know (like after hitting the home button) the bed and extruder assembly can not be moved easily at all you can force them but things will not go well. That is the main difference if you can move them easily the computer needs syncing with the printer via "Home".

Experienced users see this as a no brainer but users new to CNC machines and, yes this is a CNC machine, may have trouble with the idea at first but it shapes up very quickly.

That is why I could easily see it being an oversight

and why we have forums like this to help out

FYI:
    CNC:: Computerized Numerically Controlled
    This printer uses the additive technology instead of subtractive as the router type CNC machines do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.