1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Bed moving calibration makes banging noise

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by coombs, Mar 28, 2015.

1. coombs

coombs New Member

During the 9 point calibration process, my print bed seems to hit the end of the line when moving to the back and makes an awful noise. It used to not do this. It just started happening all of a sudden. You can see it in this video:

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Lift the bed and check the travel of the Y Belt on the pulleys/capstans.
    When you move the bed back and forth does the belt stay centered in the capstans or does it move up/down??

It should stay centered. If it moves up/down then the drive gear on the motor shaft is too low or too high and probably loose.
    Center it and tighten it.

Had this same thing happen to me a long time ago so you can be forgiven for not finding that post/thread :)

What happened was the drive cog was too low which made the belt bind (it dove down on the capstan as the bed moved) and what you hear is the stepper trying to force it.

3. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

I think we need a sticky on this. Came up a few times in the last few days.

That is always a matter of binding. Either the switch or the slide. 90% of the time its the hotbed wire folding in front of the limit switch. this makes the bed logically shorter than it needs to be. yet when it executes G29, G29 defines the back stop as y 240. if you only have 230 to work with, it jumps the belt.

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yep. Regardless the reason something is binding the bed travel stop-to-stop.

5. Dbarcliff

Dbarcliff Member

Check to make sure your bed wires aren't hitting the switch this same thing was happening to me and that was the culprit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. coombs

coombs New Member

I didn't know where the limit switch was, but I see it now under the print bed. The big black wire under there was making contact with it, so I duct taped it to the bottom of the bed and now it's working fine. Thanks all for your replies!!

mark tomlinson likes this.