1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Partially Solved Bed Temperature Rises when printing

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Rocketeer, Mar 10, 2020.

1. Rocketeer

Rocketeer New Member

I haven't used by Robo3d R1+ in a few months. I'm using version 1.7 of matter control.

I change the filament by preheating the extruder to 210. Then, I preheat the bed to 70. Temperature seems stable.

However, when I try printing, the bed termperature starts rising (I think the extruder falls to 200) and it won't start printing til the bed temperature reaches 90.

The print goes through fine, but the bed was at 90 and the extruder at 200 during this even though during the preheat was 70/210.

It's almost as if Matter Control inserted some temperature control gcode.

Any ideas?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I do not use mattercontrol, but every slicer and host program have a way to define what the print settings are.
    The preheat has no bearing on the print temperatures, those are controlled by the slicer. You could preheat to 80 and then actually print at 100 (for example). Preheat bed setting and printing bed setting are two different possible numbers. They can be set the same, but are not naturally the same.

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

4. Rocketeer

Rocketeer New Member

Thanks all for the quick response. You gave enough clues to diagnose the problem. I'll post the resolution so that others may benefit. While I've never set my bed temperature to 90 degrees, somehow The GCODE generated by MatterControl's slicer did indeed have the wrong temperatures:

M190 S90 ; wait for bed temperature to be reached
    M104 T0 S200 ; start heating extruder 1

Though I don't know enough gcode to be certain, I believe this sets the bed to 90 and the extruder to 200.
    While I did not find the cause of this, resetting matter control to factory defaults then changing the bed temperature to 70 while slicing produced these lines of gcode:

M190 S70 ; wait for bed temperature to be reached
    M104 T0 S210 ; start heating extruder 1

which appear to be the 70 and 210 I am accustomed to.
    In short, the software somehow had a bad configuration and resetting it to factory default prior to customizing it seemed to fix it.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member