1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Best bed surface?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Darkhunter12, Jul 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Klaus Gubernator

Klaus Gubernator New Member

I am a chemist and tried hairspray and glue stick with disappointing results. I then dissolved some of the same PLA that I use for printing in "Weld-On 4" acrylic cement, and applied this solution to the clean glass plate. This creates a very thin layer of the exact same material that you are printing.
    http://www.amazon.com/Weld-On-Acrylic-Adhesive-Applicator-Bottle/dp/B0096TWKCW/
    Weld-on 4 is 70% dichloromethane, 24% trichloroethylene, and 1% methylmethacrylate monomer. I dissolve about 50 cm filament (1'6") in 30ml (1oz) of Weldon-on 4 creating about a 3% solution of PLA. I then apply it to the glass plate with a small camel-hair paint brush (no synthetic, it dissolves). It forms a smooth opaque surface to which the molten PLA attaches perfectly. Once the print is cooled, the object detaches easily, and the bottom surface is shiny as glass.

2 people like this.
  2. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

Thanks, something new to try. Is this equivalent? It's cheaper and has free amazon prime shipping.
    http://www.amazon.com/SCIGRIP-10799-Acrylic-Solvent-Water-thin/dp/B00466V8F0

How do you clean it from the bed? More Weld-on? Does the Weld-on leave any residue besides the PLA? I'm thinking of the methylmethacrylate. How often do you need to reapply? I'm no chemist but should this be used in a well ventilated room?

What were your disappointing results with hairspray? It's main drawbacks are difficulty of part removal if you put on a thick layer. The nice thing is that water helps it release and cleans it up nicely. If you have Aquanet available or a formulation with Acrylates Copolymer it works pretty well and can make a glass smooth bottom surface. See: http://forums.robo3dprinter.com/index.php?threads/hairspray-survey.1532/. Spray on a cold bed, heat to 60C for a moment to dry, print at 50 or PLA, 110C for ABS. If the print does not pop off when cold dribble some water around the edges to dissolve it.

2 people like this.
  3. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Unless the part is extremely fragile I simple tap with the handle of a screwwdriver or equivalent on the side of the piece sends enough of a shock impact to pop the part right off just slide the handle across the bed and POP!

Not to harp but even more than preparing the bed surface is the first layer height I have had my printer almost 18 months and started using Aquanet about 2 months in never went back no more tape at all. A simple light spray and it doesn't even need to be applied every time it can be done with or without the heated bed being used but the KEY IS THE FIRST LAYER HEIGHT

Number 4 is the best
    _filamentcross.jpg
    But get your prints first layer to look like this and you should be 98%of the way there
    _first layer example-small.jpg

4 people like this.
  4. Klaus Gubernator

Yes, SCIGRIP 3 as the same product, also made by Weld-On. The film of dissolved PLA comes completely off with the printed model. I clean the surface with Weld-On 3 which dissolves the residual PLA film and leaves no traces if you wipe it with a tissue, the methylmetacrylate does not have time to polymerize. You need to re-apply the solution before every print. Yes, a well ventilated room is necessary and skin contact with the solvents has to be avoided. But in general, they are not very toxic. DCM is in broad use in metal degreasing, and trichloroethylene is the dry cleaning fluid.

The problem with the hairspray is that it bonds unevenly with the PLA, sometimes it comes off with it, and sometimes it does not, leaving a less than perfect surface. Also, I would be concerned about the spraying mist to interfere with the long term mechanical integrity of the robot.

3 people like this.
  5. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Well as one who has printed successfully with hairspray on many different beds from the original board with flexible heat pad under a pane of window glass to the bed we use today. I really think the most important aspect is the first layer height. That should be the PRIMARY focus of every new printer. It is not easy to get perfect and many many times what novice printers think is great is actually far from it. Once that is nailed down then other things simply seem to fall into place.

I have used thick slurries, thin slurries, glue sticks, blue tape, heated beds and non heated ones. Each had its own issues that major one being cleanup. I still have to rank hairspray as the fastest and easiest to use as well as cleanup. It has a single drawback and even that is not bad if done with any thought so ever and that is overspray getting on things. To overcome that I simply slide the bed into a position so that overspray is minimized and becomes a non issue. As I said I have been using Aquanet for over a year now and for PLA and have had no issue related to overspray. Simply upkeep of the printer is enough to eliminate anything that could be part of an issue I guess so it simply wins out.

As far as finishes and post processingI would be interested in that compound for PLA processing.
    Can it be vaporized easily????
    ABS polishing can be done with acetone by simply placing the part in a slow cooker and adding a small amount of acetone heated until the acetone vaporizes and as the vapor goes up against the part the surface is smoothed out and it works amazingly quick and does a magnificent job.

PLA has been a lot trickier and this could be an answer. Most things take too long to vaporize and the part ends up getting an uneven coverage so results have been poor. The one we have found to be the best is actually called MEK substitute but that has seen mixed results and nothing near what acetone and ABS can get to.

2 people like this.
  6. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

Funny that it is the same product with two names different prices and one with free shipping. In the semiconductor industry our marketing guys used to do that with microprocessors all the time. I thought the container graphics looks suspiciously similar.

To prevent overspray I use one half a shirt box with a rectangle cut out in the shape of the bed. The 2 1/2" sides of the box catch the overspray. You can even tape on an extra piece of cardboard near the X carriage side for good measure. I have been using the same shirt box since last November and I don't see any residue higher than 1/4" (edit - probably close to 1/2") up the sides of the box.

#26 SteveC, Oct 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2014
    2 people like this.
  7. Klaus Gubernator

MEK does not dissolve PLA, DCM and TCE and chloroform do. All ingredients of Weld-On 4 evaporate rapidly within a minute on a glass plate, what remains is a thin film of PLA. Their boiling points are: DCM 40 C (103 F), TCE 87 C (189 F), methyl methacrylate 102 C (214 F).

8. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

Thanks!

9. Peter Krska

Peter Krska Active Member

I use hairspray.
    [​IMG]

Using the hairspray in a heated bed, after a while reapplying hairspray for extra stickiness, it builds a extra layered film that I think affects the print possibly creating artifacts. Cleaning the hairspray off is easy with water and a paper cloth. Applying the first layer of hairspray it's so thin, you can't see it and the bottom of the print comes out really shiny like yours does using the weld.

I am concerned I guess with the word weld. Is it permanent if I get lazy and not take it off the bed for a while?

I had a problem with my bed no longer hearing and I found that by leaving a thicker later of hairspray on the bed, I've avoided warping issues. The thin layer was not enough to avoid warping. I now just reapply extra spray when needed. I eventually clean it and start again. I can't wait for my replacement parts to come in so that I canto ur with a heated bed.

This is why I ask if the weld left in over a long time can it be permanent? After all it's called weld!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk in Canada

10. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

They call it weld-on because it's a chemical bond between the plastic. It won't weld to anything non-plastic, so for cleaning it off class you'd just use a razor blade like removing abs slurry.

I've been curious if weld-on will dissolve PLA. Time to try some PLA slurry!

@tesseract I don't believe Weld-on 4 vapor will vapor polish well. @Soupaboy tried it and it just made his parts surface crack apart.

I typically apply it with a brush, but a cold vapor might work better than a hot vapor.

11. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks @Mike it was a thought

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.