1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Better support material??

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Printrrnoob, Sep 2, 2015.

1. Printrrnoob

Printrrnoob Member

Hello everyone. I know this isn't RoBo 3d specific, but I was curious if anyone knew of any updates to material design or slic3r or something that will have easier to break off support material. I keep hearing good things about another software, but I don't want to spend 150 when that's all I want out of it.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

2. 1nxtmonster

1nxtmonster Active Member

On slic3r you can increase the 'contact Z distance' to have more easily removable support material

3. Printrrnoob

Printrrnoob Member

I'll have to try that. Thank you.

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

If you really need painlessly removable non-visable when removed supports... Simplify3D is your friend.

But you might be happy with tuning the free software. The free options have improved a *lot* since inception :)
    (somewhere I have a 6x6x6 brick of supports-n-model Cura made for me as a memento many moons ago)

5. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

I've got a product from polymaker you might want to check out called polysupport. It basically just forms a really weak bond so support is easy to break away. I haven't had time to test it much yet, but one of the guys on the Robo3D Owners facebook page posted some nice prints with it. I have a bunch of full spools to sell, but won't be listed on the site til I've tested it more, but I'm offering sample packs here http://printedsolid.com/products/polymaker-sample

Here's a video

6. Printrrnoob

Printrrnoob Member

I saw that not too long ago. The only issue I can think of is wouldn't that make the print itself weaker because the print itself has to be printed with that material?

7. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

Yup. The interlayer bonding is poor, but the material itself is relatively ductile. So, I'd expect it can handle some impact and in plane loading, but any load in the z direction will not be good. It would be very useful for dual or for more artistic prints or forms where you don't care about strength off of a single.

8. Printrrnoob

Printrrnoob Member

True. I'll definitely take a look for more art prints that I do in the future.