1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Binding during 9 point probe

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by NickZ, Apr 19, 2015.

1. NickZ

NickZ New Member

Hi all, Just got my R1 a couple of days ago and i seem to have some issues. When i start a print it goes thru the 9 point probe/calibration. At point 6 (Back Right) it tries to check that point multiple times. It then seems to fail and it moves X+ (right) and then i get the horrible grinding binding noise. Also Z axis doesn't seem get the full travel as well. It does get around to printing but i can only get a very small print area.
    Things i tried:
    Flashing Arduino to multiple different firmware.
    Manual 3 point calibration with paper
    Use other programs besides matter like cura
    Took apart the unit to make sure all plugs are secure and it the correct place.
    Changed PC

Not really sure what to do at this point. Has anyone else had this issue?

Nick

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Something is binding (belts, cogs, pulleys)
    With power off manually move the head full travel and see if it is mechanically free.
    Watch the cogs/pulleys.. make sure the belt is not moving around on them (the belt should stay centered on the cog or pulley).

You may have a cable in the way causing binding as well.

3. NickZ

NickZ New Member

Ok i think its fixed now. while i was trying to figure out what was going on i ended up clogging up my extruder so i had to unclog it. I guess while i was doing that i must of unbinded or moved whatever was causing this issue. When i booted the machine back up and tried to take a video of my 9 point fail i was amazed to see it not fail. Spent at least 48 hours on this issue and glad its working now.
    Thanks for your help.
    Nick

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Good luck. If it happens again, check the drive path for the X and Y.