1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered Black material that came in the box

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Joe H, Dec 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe H

Joe H Member

So when i opened my new R1 it had this sheet of black sticky material that came with it. i've read up on the issues with projects peeling off the bed and the fixes with hairspray and blue tape. neither seem to be working. nothing in the box or start up video said anything about the black material that came with it so i assumed after a couple failed prints "maybe this might help" so i stuck it on there and it worked like a champ. however, like an idiot, i used the entire sheet on one print thinking it would last for a while. big mistake.

so my question is: what is the black material and how do i get more?

2. Joe H

Joe H Member

3. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Yeah I think it's either BuildTak or Vinyl.

What hairspray do you use?

4. mediaguru

mediaguru Member

For what it's worth, I've been using glue stick (didn't have hair spray on hand) and it has always worked... leaves a little bit of roughness/texturing on that bottom surface, though

5. Jsn9955

Jsn9955 Member

I just received my printer on 12/22 and I didn't receive anything like you describe in the box... I've been using Elmer's Extra Strength glue stick and I've had no issues with it. I've got a can of Aquanet hair spray as a back up, but I'd rather not use it if the glue stick doesn't give me problems.

6. k1e1v1i1n

k1e1v1i1n Active Member

I did not get that in my box either. Tried hairspray and that was a disaster, now I'm using a glue stick and it sticks every time but it is pretty hard pulling the print up.

7. mediaguru

mediaguru Member

You shouldn't really "pull" the print up, but use the scraper to scrape it off (taking the glue stick residue, too).. works best starting under a corner. It can be extremely difficulty if you have a wide, completely-flat surface, though

8. k1e1v1i1n

k1e1v1i1n Active Member

I am always scraping the print off I think if I tried to pull it off i would just break the printer or at lease pull off the build platform. Guess i didnt really mean "pulling up the print" sorry.

9. mediaguru

mediaguru Member

Well, sometimes you can just sort of "pull" it right off (exerting pressure at an angle)... I just did that with the oiler I printed. But it would need to have a small footprint and high print to provide some leverage. Scraping is still the safer bet

10. Joe H

Joe H Member

Sorry, i've been away for the holidays. You have to order it from staples since they don't actually carry it in stock. i haven't gotten a chance to use it and see if it's worth the $25 since i've been toying with my new matter and form scanner. I'll be sure to let everyone know when i do...

11. Joe H

Joe H Member

Just an "out of the box" review on the afinia build tack: it's nothing like the vinyl material i received with my R1. it's much more durable, and if used correctly, looks like it could be used multiple times. if not permanently. for the price, you get 3 of these 5.5"x5.5" self adhesive sheets that can be cut to cover the printing area of the printer bed. the vinyl that came with the printer was definitely for single use.
    But, like i said, i'll post up later once it's put to use.

12. Bill Monroe

Bill Monroe Member

guys, cheapo Aquanet (the purple can) works awesome.. if it's not working for you, you're doing something wrong. The glue stick works fine too but it can get a little texture telegraphed to the bottom.
    get some aquanet! and some windex to clean off the residue when you're done.
    and dont send your wife to buy it ya big woosey. :)

dont use that vinyl.. it's nasty and a waste of money.. I've had my machine for 7 weeks now and i'm still on the same can of hairspray.. nothing fails to stick (and my doo doesnt get mussed in the wind either)
    Most of the time I just wait to remove it until the table cools down.. maybe 10 mins or so.. along the way it'll practically jump off the glass...

2 people like this.
  13. Joe H

Joe H Member

ok, after a leveling issue, a clogged nozzle and my 6 year old being out of school for a month (she doesn't let me play with my toys) i was finally able to test this afinia product out. bottom line: it sucks. Like Bill mentioned, don't waste your money on it. i tried it by itself and with some aqua net and my prints still broke loose. lesson learned. i hope this keeps you all from making the same mistake.

2 people like this.
  14. Bill Monroe

Bill Monroe Member

Were you able to get the hairspray to work just printing onto the glass?

15. Mike Glass

Mike Glass Active Member

Try either, more heat or lowering your first layer, and yes hairspray.

16. Joe H

Joe H Member

I increased the temp on the bed and hosed it with aquanet and it stuck a lot better but it was still peeling up at the edges. I think the small footprint of what I was printing had something to do with it that though.

17. Mike Glass

Mike Glass Active Member

I use brim in Cura if it is small, works really well.

18. Robert Choban

Robert Choban Active Member

Mike Glass, what is brim

19. Mike Glass

Mike Glass Active Member

It makes a thin like layer kinda like a raft but only one layer, I use it for small pieces or small footprints.

20. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

if its peeling with aquanet, you're using abs (or nylon) and your fan is on. a hot bed with aquanet... you'll break parts getting them off... chisel to get brim off. or let it cool.

I can't get abs to stick with deck screws if I don't turn off my fan.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.