1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Bowden E3D Cold Extruders?

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Sobiguy, Oct 4, 2014.

1. Sobiguy

Sobiguy New Member

Hello every one,
    So I regular the these forums quite often, Consuming as much knowledge from wins and fails as possible.
    I ended up with basically the last batch of the beta models. tho it seems to be considered an R1 Sans the good heat bed. Which sucks. But I digress....

Finally Giving up on the stock hot end. With clog after clog and problem after problem and the print quality approaching nearly that of a kindergartner with a glue gun hopped up on redbull......

Finally threw in the towel and upgraded to the E3d. Since I had to tear it down any ways To both install the new hot end and deal with a recent heat bed Magic Smoke fiasco. I decided To just speed ahead and jump on the Bowden Band wagon.

So to the point, There's tons of info on these forums, on and about going to bowden e3d hotends and how to's on what mods to make in regards to installing them on the carriage. But there's virtually nil on the cold extruders you guys are using or what works the best or where to put it. Where you got it etc.....

So I ended up going with the following:
    This All Metal 3D Extruder

Using this bowden extruder seemed to work well till it got the filament to the hot end and kept stalling or eating up the filament. After some research I realized my problem may to two fold.

1. Since I dumbly over looked the feed rate (change in rotation steps to filament travel distance VS stock geared direct feed system) It was I believe stalling from trying to feed the filament to fast to the hotend as i have yet to find the setting in the firmware to change the feed step ratio......

But,
    2. After using some Google-Fu I seen That some of you guys/gals are using the reduction geared steppers. Could that also be something that I need to Have? And if so Can just the reduction be bought fairly cheaply or do I have to buy it with the stepper.....

Anyone Else care To chime and Share their insight, tips and tricks or maybe just show off your cold end bowden extruder setups!