1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Brand new Robo3D R1+ replacement hardware not working

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Drewwatz, Mar 30, 2021.

1. Drewwatz

Drewwatz New Member

This has been a journey and I have no idea what's up with my R1+ now.....Looking for some expert help at this point. I'll try to provide as many details as possible.

My extruder stopped heating up recently (Min Temp warning, etc) and, after reading this board, many members said it was a bad thermistor. So, I purchased this new Hot End + Thermistor on Amazon:

FYSETC 3D Printer Robo Parts Original Hexagon Hotend Extruder Kit All Metal Set with 0.4mm Nozzle 100K Thermistor Heatsink Wire for Robo R1

I installed the new extruder+thermistor and *still* couldn't get the hot end to heat up in Mattercontrol. So, I then bought the replacement R1+ RAMPS board on partsbuilt.com and a new Arduino 2560 on partbuilts.com. These ones:

Replacement RAMPs Board for Robo R1+

MEGA 2560 R3

I followed the guide and built/uploaded the firmware to the Arduino and can connect to the Robo3D R1 over USB. I believe it's running Marlin 1.0

After all that new hardware, here's the current status. Any help is appreciated:
    • When I turn on the R1+, the red LED labeled "END" (the extruder LED) immediately illuminates no matter what I do, and stays lit no matter what I do.
    • I only measure 9.4V across the extruder voltage output on the RAMPS board. I believe this should be 12V
    • I measure ~0V across the bed voltage output on the RAMPS board. At first I was able to get the bed to heat, now I cannot.
    • None of the "Movement" controls respond. For instance, if I click the +X 10m in Mattercontrol, I see the green LED flash on the Arduino indicating the command was received, but the stepper motors do nothing. Same with extrude/retract.
    • The bed is registering 25 degree C. The hot end is registering 350degrees C when cold. This causes a Max temp, extruder shutdown.
    • I measure 12V coming out of the big power supply unit
    I've attached a photo of my new RAMPS + Arduino wired up, with the red "END" LED constantly illuminated

Attached Files:

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Those LEDs may line up with the RepRap RAMPS LEDS 1-4:

LED 1 shows the Ramps is enabled (I think)
    LED 2 illuminates if the heat bed is switched on.
    LED 3 illuminates if a fan is switched on.
    LED 4 illuminates if the hot-end is switched on (the one labeled 'END')

We don't have specifics on the R1+ custom RAMPS but I think LED1 is tied to D13 and mirrors the led on the MEGA board. Usually just indicates if it's powered (solid) or if it's communicating (flashing rapidly). LED2-4 just match up with D8-D10 respectively and indicate if the MOSFETs are active, allowing current to pass to ground. Usually D8-10 corresponds to heated bed, fan, and hot end respectively (the Robo RAMPS does not have the D8-10 explicitly but they match up with others that do the same). There is a thread that documents converting from the Robo RAMPS to a generic one so you can refer to that if you need to know what each connector does. ==>http://community.robo3d.com/index.p...and-rewiring-to-make-generic-ramps-work.8356/

#2 mark tomlinson, Mar 30, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
  3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Sounds like from the temperatures that the bed thermistor is working (25c is about room temp normally) and the extruder themistor is not working. The extruder themistor is an NTC thermistor (negative temperature coefficient) so max resistance => min temp reading and vice versa. You wiring to the thermsitor is shorted somewhere (min resistance => MAX Temp reading).

4. Drew Watson

Drew Watson New Member

Thanks.
    And what do you make of me only seeing 9V at the extruder output on the RAMPS?

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Is that with the extruder heater core connected or just reading the connection with nothing attached?
    It is a current signal so the voltage may well vary around. With no heater core attached you should see 12vdc (or slightly more really).

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

What bothers me is that the hotend should not have power to the heater until/unless your host program is calling for heat.
    That and the fact that the extruder thermistor is reading MAX temp -- that is the main problem and you will need to fix that first.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You might want to sanity check that the board is getting the full 12v out of the power supply(it probably is). Measure the input, not the output to the extruder :)