1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered Calibrate extruder after filament change

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Toro1966, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

Hey guys - was having problems printing a week or so ago so I calibrated my extruder. After that, all has been well for the last week. Now today, I started having the same issues, checked the extruder and sure enough I was underextruding again. I just calibrated it again, but why did I have to do that? The only difference is I changed the filament. Both were PLA. What's more troubling is that I actually printed last night fine with this new filament after I had changed it and then today had the extrusion problem. I checked the steps value and it was as it was supposed to be. Thoughts? What would cause it to start underextruding? Could I have had the temp wrong potentially?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Not likely temperature. Could be small clogs with the PLA.
    Season it and try again.

3. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

Should I run cleaning filament through it? I extruded plenty before the print and it came out nice and straight. It is printing fine now because I just recalibrated it. If I understand your point correctly, and it was in fact slightly clogged, then if I season and clean it, I may end up now overextruding - correct?

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you tweaked the eSteps for the extruder, yes... but make sure it is printing right before doing it again :)

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

PLA can be frustrating. I like PLA for test objects (and some real ones) but it can be a hassle without an oiler.
    You can just season it periodically (how often varies by nozzle -- seriously). I had one that I seasoned, like once and it worked fine.
    Until I ran nylon through it and then I had to season it again. I finally just got tired of bothering and added an oiler and always use it on PLA. Not a single problem since (unless I forgot to add a couple of drops for a long time)

6. Toro1966

Toro1966 Active Member

Thanks Mark - so just so I am clear about the seasoning process, it goes something like this:
    1 - Heat up hot end to PLA temp (in my case that is about 195-200).
    2 - Extrude about 50mm of PLA.
    3 - Shut down hotend and allow to cool.
    4 - Turn on and start heating up while applying upward pressure on filament until you are able to manually pull it out.
    5 - Take end of filament and roll in some olive oil (or similar)
    6 - Insert into hotend and push some filament out. Push some more out.
    7. Repeat steps 1-6, two to three times.

Is that right? Thanks!

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yes, that is a very detailed set of instructions :)

Any vegetable oil will work, canola is good because of the higher flash-point, but honestly the oil itself is not the point, but rather the residue it leaves behind. Exactly like seasoning a cast-iron skillet.