1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Calibration Cube Issues / Pillowing

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by ssshake, Oct 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ssshake

ssshake Member

I'm having all kinds off issues with my printer and I'm not sure how to sort them out. I'm really confused why a calibration cube wouldn't work out of the box with stock settings.

First off the only engine that seems to work for me is matterslice. If you look at the photos when I print in slic3r it ends up like the mess on the right. If I use cura the head mashes into the bed when it prints. Not sure why, doesn't it auto calibrate?

I'm doing a .2 infill and having issues with bridging and such. The cube on the left is the most successful. Yet it still doesn't fill at the top properly. I've told it to slow down for bridged prints. I've also told it to print 15 top layers, overkill to find something that works and back it off. However I seriously have my doubts that this setting is even getting applied. It doesnt look like 15 to me.

I'm trying to figure out how to get this done on a calibration cube before moving on to longer prints that will just mess up at the end.

What the hell am I doing wrong?

Why doesnt cura or sli3r some close to working properly.

What kind of bridging success should I expect out of this printer?

What engine do you use? Did it work "out of the box?

I'm trying to attain .2 infill because I'm trying to print a guitar that will take all week otherwise.

IMG_20141009_185752.jpg
    IMG_20141009_185803.jpg

Screenshot-2.png

Attached Files:

#1 ssshake, Oct 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2014
  2. ssshake

ssshake Member

A few observations printing again.

This time 15 layers did print and it's evident.. far left in images. However I still feel that 15 is a lot considering the default is 3. Comments?

Also I observed that the print speed didnt slow down when doing top layers. For some reason I thought the gap due to the low infill would count as bridging and force it to run at the bridge speed I defined. This doesn't appear to be the case. Is there a setting to specify which speed the top layers should run at? I would like to slow this down.

I'd still like to know why slic3r and cura can't seem to print properly.

3. Mikethinks

Mikethinks Active Member

Is your print head pausing or changing direction at those hole points? Could be a pathing issue. I find that at .2mm 4-5 top layers is plenty. I would start by counting the top layers, because it looks a lot like what I get at .1mm if I dont do enough top layers

4. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

OK first off you are talking about bridging and non of that takes place in the calibration cube. So forget about bridging for the time being.
    Next set you top and bottom layers to 2 and set the infill to be 100% that is the defaults for a calibration cube.

I use Cura and repetier but have not gotten MC to work in the slightest but as one of the first people to get the printer I can tell you if setup correctly Repetier/Slicr will work and Cura will as well.

As far as auto calibration goes it does auto level but you still need to calibrate things shipping will always throw things off. I do not think there is a printer today that will print perfect right out of the box( I know I may get push back on this but it is my opinion) first things you need to do is learn alternate softwares so when issues pop up which they will you have alternatives.

If the print on the right was done using repetier then you probably missed some things as well in your setup

Continuing on some things you need to learn about so you can get successful prints
    autoleveling
    x carriage leveling
    start and stop Gcode
    first layer and what it should look like and why
    bed preperation
    proper filament temp ranges to use

when you have issues you need to supply a lot of additional information
    such as material type
    print temps
    setup procedures for the print involved
    pictures are great but can only give us limited information

In addiiton I would really recommend asking around first but going to 15 top layers is something I have never even thought about doing if you get issues that differ greatly from what you are expecting stop and start asking if you do not you will most likely introduce other error into the print like using 15 top layers not a real good thing to try and do to fix something it doesn't hurt just waste material and your time.

So look over your print settings and printer setups and then take things a bit slower and ask question and supply the info and we can work it out
    The printer does a really good job when setup correctly check out some pics of peoples prints to see what you can accomplish
    here are a couple of my favorite prints

tes1.jpg colorchangevase2.jpg

5. ssshake

ssshake Member

Interesting you say that. I just came back to report that I get much better results with "medium" settings. Which to my knowledge is just .2mm at medium, versus .1mm at high quality. So my question is does the robo3d work well at .1mm to begin with or am I trying settings that mattercontrol offers but isn't even recommended for my printer? And then my second question is should I bother with .1mm because honestly .2mm looks pretty good to me. I'm going to compare them when this print is done, but on the bed .2 looks as good as .1 but with less screw-ups.

How many top layers do you do with .1mm on yours?

6. ssshake

ssshake Member

Thanks for all of the information I'll have to take some time to consider it all. Regarding the calibration cube I've been through that many times before and can print 100% fill with good results, I've printed a good number of things just nothing with tricky bits to them. I think my other posts show a bit of that, I don't remember.

I was doing the cube again because I wanted to try and narrow down why I can't ever seem to get a proper top layer when I do a lower infill at .1mm quality. I understand based on what you said that the "gap" between the infill when printing the top layer isn't considered bridging. I don't know at what point something is considered bridged. Either way, is there no setting to say "when printing on top of nothing, do some special conditions"?

For the print on the right, that was using slic3r engine inside of mattercontrol. I've never used repetier

7. ssshake

ssshake Member

No idea what that means :)

8. ssshake

ssshake Member

Just took a quick screen shot from my webcam and this print at .2mm (instead of .1mm) is going exceptional.
    [​IMG]
    The "H L T" that's upside down, the overhanging parts there (at 90 degree angles) would have never printed without being screwed up in some sort of way if I did this at .1mm.

I can't help but think that indicates something correlated to layer height, since as far as I know they only thing that's changed is .2 instead of .1mm and the difference in print accuracy is very obvious.

I don't want to introduce a red herring here, but for some reason I've always suspected extrusion issues. Humor me, does a .2mm layer height extrude more than .1mm? I'm just thinking that if I'm having an extrusion issue, would it be true to say it would be more pronounced at a lower layer height? And less obvious at a higher layer height? I probably just sounded really stupid in this paragraph so correct me here and I'll learn a thing or two.

9. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

It does in that it has to put more material down in the same space as compared to .1mm

The main problem I have with MC. Is that it automates to many things IT THINKS is correct but when you print you can see it has issues so you want to change and it is hard to determine what to change because you really aren't sure what it is to begin with
    Lol
    That is one reason I like Cura and Slicr you know what the values are for things because you have to set them

10. ssshake

ssshake Member

I would like to try slic3r but since the defaults are all messed up I'm starting out way in the hole. Could you tell me what I should download and run to get a good baseline with slic3r with robo3d?

11. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

A poor choice of tool paths by the slicer

12. ssshake

ssshake Member

OK I'm back with a bit of an update. I'm trying to establish some baselines here before I mess around too much, however theres a few interesting discoveries so far.

For the record I did a fresh install of matter control and as such I'm using whatever default settings it's configured with for PLA. So we're talking:
    • Medium quality
    • .2mm height
    • 210C filament temp
    • 50C bed temp
    • Masking tapes on the glass (I seem to have to do this no matter what, thought pla would be good just on the glass)
    • White/Black PLA from robo3d, came with printer
    First and foremost I found out that one of the nuts and bolts for one of the vertical support rods was messed up and loose. (I'm talking about the smooth rods not the threaded ones.

By messed up I mean that it was defective and the nut was one just the end of the bolt and bound up and seized. There was about a half centimeter of movement with this bolt, it was not on tight in the slightest.

Not only that but I could not undo the nut. I tried everything, even vice grips and a ratchet, it wouldn't budge. I had to drill it out and buy new hardware at the store. I've replaced this but haven't notice an improvement as a result. Didn't necessarily expect one.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Anyway back to the print. I have two pieces of a guitar, one at .1mm and one at .2mm. The one at .2mm had no issues filling in the top layer and no issues printing onto thin air.

[​IMG]

Here's an example of it failing to print well on thin air (doing an upward and outward curve) at .1mm. I suspect this would print well at .2mm if I did it again.

[​IMG]

This .2mm printed a similar curve great! However .2mm just doesn't look so great as far as the layers alignment and stuff compared to .1mm

[​IMG]

I ran some cubes and bridge tests at .2mm. If you recall I was having real issues with these at .1mm. The cube at .15 infill finished the top layers much better, no "pillowing" or whatever the term is, and it finished in the default 3 layers. I let it go 5.

Bridging with and without supports seemed pretty decent at .2mm

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Would really like to know what I can do to get .1mm to print this accurately. This bridge test is a no go at .1mm doesn't even come close, it prints the legs then utter failure. The cube test at even .25 infill, not .15 can't finish off the top layers unless I do 15+ solid filled top layers.

2 people like this.
  13. ssshake

ssshake Member

What might I do about something like that, or verify if it's the case?

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The only way to deal with that is to switch slicers and see if the problem moves ( which eliminates a slicer issue).

15. Peter Krska

Peter Krska Active Member

I would like to help by including my settings. I use the same for all the softwares (Cura, MC and Repetier)

Robo3d settings

Layer height 0.2046
    First layer 0.3
    Parameters 6
    Top layer 5
    Bottom 5
    Generate extra parameters when needed
    Start at non overhang
    Thin walls
    External parameters first

Infill 0.3
    Infill every 1
    Only infill when needed
    Fill pattern Rectilinear
    Top/Bot fill Rectilinear
    Infill every 1 layer
    Only infill when needed
    Solid infill every 0 layers
    Starting angle 45
    Solid infill threshold 70

Speed
    Everything at 50 except
    Outside perimeter 70%
    Gap fill 45
    Min print speed 30
    Travel 125
    First layer speed 50%

Skirt and Brim
    Loops 2
    Distance 6
    Skirt height 2
    Non extrusion length 1
    Brim 0

Support
    Overhang 89
    Enforce support 0
    Raft 2 layers

Options
    Pattern Rectilinear
    Pattern spacing 2.5
    Starting angle 0
    Interface layers 3
    Interface spacing 0
    Z gap 1

Output options
    Wipe 0
    Adv first layer 150%

Flow
    Bridge flow 1

Other
    Threads 2
    Res 0
    Extrusion axis E
    Optimize overhangs

Filament
    Diameter 1.75
    Ext multi 1
    Ext first layer 190
    Ext temp 190
    Bed first layer 55
    Bed temp 0

Printer
    Bed size 228.6 x 254
    Print centre 114.3 x 127
    Build height 203.2
    Z offset 0
    Bed shape rectangular
    Firmware reprap

Extruder
    Nozzle 0.4
    Ext offset 0

Retract
    Length 1
    Change tool 10
    Z lift 0.12
    Speed 35
    Extra length 0
    Min travel 2
    Retract on layer change
    Retraction when disabled 10
    Extra length 0

Everything I posted should be entered. If I did not post it, leave it unchecked or at default.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk in Canada

16. ssshake

ssshake Member

Thanks! I'll read over and consider. You've used this in mattercontrol? So you always print at .2? As I'm trying to eventually get to good .1mm prints.

where did you get the exact number of Layer height 0.2046?

17. Peter Krska

Peter Krska Active Member

layer heights:
    for 0.100 use 0.1058
    for 0.200 use 0.2046
    for 0.300 use 0.3034

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk in Canada

18. ssshake

ssshake Member

I'm not sure if there's a course of action or a solution here so I guess consider it closed. Other than to say printing at .1mm is difficult? Considering I can't print anything but the most basic of shapes at .1mm with any accuracy. .2mm is good, I printed out a fairly decent yoda head with very little defects (the chin mostly). So I guess for now I'll keep things at .2mm until a time where I feel like I've somehow magically improved my prints and am willing to attempt a .1mm print again.

If anything revolutionary comes up let me know.

19. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Again, experiment with different slicers/programs (IMHO, MatterControl is rather bottom-of-the-barrel). I am sure you can tweak it and improve things (but I have not used it enough to help point you to how).

While I have to tweak a few things between them, .1 is not worse than .2 (and they both look better than your examples).
    You probably have some fine-tuning left to do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.