1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Calibration kookiness

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Dr. D, Jun 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. D

Dr. D Member

Hey guys, got my new robo in works great. But now I have to start calibration again and I have hit a bit of a snag.

I was thinking the little fibers that are the result of poor extrusion would suggest too hot but the incomplete top layer would suggest too cold... I am kind of confused, I am printing at slow speeds and low temps.

This is the stock hot end BTW my E3D is on the way.

Attached Files:

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

if you are using PLA or ABS do this:

1) run the head into the middle, crank it up an inch or two (so you can easily see what is extruding)
    2) heat up the hotend.
    3) extrude 10 mm.

Look at it... if it is curling back and sticking to the hotend, it is likely too hot. It should extrude and hang down (mostly straight). It may curl around a little, but not back to where it is sticking to the hotend.

Extrusion should stop when the feed stops. This works with ABS and PLA, not so much with other more exotic filaments (Nylon or NinjaFlex). Run them at the suggested temps and you are probably good.

3. Dr. D

Dr. D Member

Just got my E3d in, I installed and am running some calibration prints. Thanks for the tip, I will keep that in mind.

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I have some large single layer prints (circles inside of circles and the like) that I use for bed leveling.
    I think I got them from thingiverse, but if you need I can post them.

5. Dr. D

Dr. D Member

No worries about bed leveling my R1 has autoleveling and I check the rods by hand every couple dozen hours.

Right now with my E3d I got most of the layer and bridging fixed but I still am getting the fibering that shows up every so many layers, I am not sure what is causing that. It makes my prints look kind of hairy, I am gonna mod retraction and see what happens.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.