1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Can not print after E3D hotend upgrade

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by SoLongSidekick, Mar 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SoLongSidekick

SoLongSidekick Active Member

Hey guys,

When I set up my printer for the first time it printed beautifully. Then the hotend jammed so I upgraded to an E3D direct drive hotend. After installation I can not get a print to come out right. The hotend is pressed to hard into the print bed, restricting filament flow. I have calibrated it over and over again and it shouldn't be digging into the bed at all. Any ideas?

2. EddyBorja

EddyBorja New Member

Did you just adjust the screw for the z endstop?

3. SoLongSidekick

I have adjusted it back and forth, when the unit homes-all the nozzle is just above the print surface so I think it is set right.

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

If it is level at home, that does not mean the entire bed is level.
    Also 'home' is not the same as running height so you may still need to tweak it.
    Adjust it while it is (trying to) printing the perimeter if needed.

5. SoLongSidekick

I know, it has the same tiny gap at extreme left and right when at home z height.

Adjust the endstop while it is printing?

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yes, while it is printing the perimeter (or use a two layer really wide test print) reach in and adjust the Z bars by hand (both sides as needed).

2 people like this.
  7. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

Adding the e3d shouldn't cause that if it wasn't happening with the other hot end. when you have the bed centered and you manually move the print head from left to right, does the gap between the bed and the nozzle stay the same?

8. SoLongSidekick

Mark: How can I adjust the threaded rods while the stepper motors are engaged and actively moving? The endstop is easy, but how would I do that with the rods?

Matt: Can't wait for the order I placed yesterday to come in, seems like I'm talking a lot with you recently haha. Yes the nozzle gives the same gap at extreme left and extreme right. I don't think adding the E3D did it, I just think all the moving and nudging as I was installing it did it. I just realized I didn't tighten the hotend enough at 300° because I see a bit leaking around the nozzle. I am going to take it apart and clean it and put it back together and see if that helps.

How much should I tighten the screws that hold the hotend in?

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You can turn the threaded rods while the printer is working.
    I just use a big single layer test print if I need to tweak it much, but generally the perimeter is enough to fine tune the height.

10. Drew Eby

Drew Eby Member

What mark is saying is that you can basically go through the same process you did when leveling it as it is printing a flat layer. As long as the print is on a single layer and the z axis motors aren't engaged then it is free too move during the perimeter layers. You could also try pausing it if you are comfortable moving it mid print.

11. SoLongSidekick

I'll try that as soon as I get off work, will post the results. Thanks guys!

12. SoLongSidekick

So I destroyed my nozzle trying to tighten it down somehow. I noticed it was oozing PLA when printing just a bit, so obviously I didn't tighten it down enough at 300°. Went to tighten it and didn't even get to having to exert that much pressure at all and it stripped -_-. New nozzle on the way.

13. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

ah, I thought you needed a whole new hot end. I have plenty of nozzles.
    If it's stripped, you probably need a new heater block as well. Maybe you can fit it with a helicoil or something, but I'm guessing it might not work too well in this case.

14. SoLongSidekick

My best guess is all I needed was a new nozzle and maybe a new block, but I figured it's always good to have spare parts around so I ordered a whole new hotend. Will arrive Thursday, can't wait.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.