1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Can't get hotend (E3D) to stay at 245°

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by SoLongSidekick, Apr 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SoLongSidekick

SoLongSidekick Active Member

So I decided to finally try my hand at printing the Taulmann 645 I've had sitting around for awhile. I cut one of the Garolite sheets I had to fit my print bed perfectly and clamped it down. I sliced up a beautiful Python-created vase and was ready to go. I set the hotend temp to 245°C to feed the 645 in and purge the hotend of the PLA that was previously in there.

My hotend turns up to the desired temp then immediately drops down to zero (I think, I never let actually run down to 0°). What the hell? 245° is well below my modified high-temp setting (300), I don't understand what could possibly be happening here. Anyone have this happen to them? Thermistor is secured properly as well, I checked.

2. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Do you have a cooling fan blowing on the poly fuses used for the bed if not I would look at that mod it may help with the heater as well.

The other thing to consider is power left in the supply if you have a lot of add-ons consuming the power it may be too much for that supply.

Those are the first things that come to mind for me

3. SoLongSidekick

I have a fan blowing on the Arduino/RAMPS board down below but that is it besides hotend/print fans. And I haven't added my LED setup yet so I don't have any aftermarket parts that require power except for the E3D heatsink fan.

EDIT - I just noticed a worrying symptom as well. Even though MC says the printer is connected and is reading the temps from the thermistors, the printer is not reacting to any commands: extrude, Z axis up, etc. Now I am starting to trip a bit, what is going on here?

4. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

As a check I would try and heat it up again and if it failstry to find out if either of the polyfuses is warm or possibly hot maybe the fan is not enough that is what I would look for next

5. SoLongSidekick

Where are the polyfuses located? See my edit above, does that clear things up?

6. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

they should be directly under the fan you installed they can't be missed they are the large yellow flat components probably spread out away from each other a bit.

Try running repetier instead of MC it can be funky at times and is not an all around product yet

7. SoLongSidekick

-_- I don't know why I asked that, they seem fine by feel. I haven't lifted the case up yet to perform a visual yet though. So I am still able to print with PLA, I have a print running right now. But it seems that if I tell the hotend to heat up to ~230° or higher it starts glitching. Could I have blown one of the fuses? I wouldn't assume that if I did it would still let the hotend heat up at all, at least that's how I would have designed it.

I don't like tilting the machine too often, so I'll get my wiring ready for my LED mod and install it this afternoon while doing a visual inspection of the fuses and report back. This is such an odd problem.

8. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I blew my fuse and it was acting super weird. It mostly worked but would trip out.

You'll be able to tell pretty clearly by looking at the fuse. Mine was split open on the top.

2 people like this.
  9. SoLongSidekick

Mike where did you find a replacement? Most of my go-to suppliers don't have them, and I can't stand ordering from Digi-Key or Mouser.

10. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

11. SoLongSidekick

Can you link me the 11 amp one? I think I found it but would rather have confirmation haha.

12. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

oooof LOL I remember that pic it was not pretty but the man Mike got it replaced Yea!!!!

13. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

14. SoLongSidekick

Thanks Mike, I just realized I have some serious research to do. Most of my electronics work is in very small amperage ranges; I just realized how odd it is to have the knowledge/experience that I do in hobby electronics but know absolutely nothing about fuses haha.

15. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I'm honestly real bad about protecting my circuits. I really ought to pick up some high amp fuses to protect my power supply and buck converter.

16. SoLongSidekick

So I checked my fuses and both of them appear to be in perfect condition. I'll try heating the hotend up to 245° again when I get home from work and report back. This seems very odd.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.