1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Can't insert filament

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by bioclasm, Mar 31, 2015.

1. bioclasm

bioclasm Member

Hello,

So I got it printing, and decided to try switching filament from the PLA sample to some ABS I bought from Robo. It will not insert. I follow the video as closely as one can, and I can't get the filament (even the PLA when I tried to switch back) to catch and actually make it through. The gear inside just grinds filament off. I have it heated to the temperature for the plastic, and pull the tab back all the way, and insert a straight end of the filament, I push it as far in as I can, from every angle possible now, and it simply refuses to catch.

I've also used a bottle of compressed air to blow out all the tiny bits that have been shaved off, and made sure the device itself is clear of any other pieces of filament.

Thanks,

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

There could be a piece of filament stuck in the nozzle that's blocking it.

Remove the two screws holding the nozzle in place and verify it's clear. You can even feed it in with the nozzle out (through the feed hole) so when you reinsert the nozzle you know it's good.

[​IMG]

Phat Vi likes this.
  3. bioclasm

bioclasm Member

Thanks. I had checked the nozzle, and there was something stuck in there. I removed it and still had difficulty, and was just getting frustrated. It had kept feeding out through the side if it did catch. I finally got it to begin extruding all the way.

Thanks

4. jbigler1986

jbigler1986 Active Member

Remove the 2 spring loaded screws and drop the bearing down. You will then see the filament hole. Insert the filament. It makes it very easy that way.

bioclasm likes this.