1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Change of Direction Artifact?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Stephen Capistron, Feb 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stephen Capistron

Stephen Capistron Active Member

I'm not sure if it is a change in direction of the print head causing this or not, but I am getting some weird artifacts in a series of prints. I printed four business card holders in one print (~18 Hrs) to get a sense for part to part variation across the print space. They came out okay, but they all seem to have some weirdness in different locations.

They all have some overflow on either the left or right side of the thin back and two have a bump in the middle. For those layers the left and right sides came out smooth.

Should I try a different print orientation, slicer, or change some higher level setting like acceleration or something.

2. Stephen Capistron

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I would try a different slicer for sure.
    Although it is a weird defect, but looks like (as a wild guess) that this is some sort of mechanical hiccup rather than a software one.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I would suggest some test/calibration objects at about the same location as the defects. See if you can reproduce anything that way.

5. Stephen Capistron

What I have setup to print now is just the back wall of the holder with three different radii (original 0.5mm, 1mm, and 1.4mm). And this array is duplicated so I will end up with two of each. All other settings are the same. There is a slight chance that this is done printing by the time I get home from soccer tonight, but doubtful.

6. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

I've had some crazy print errors due to design flaws relative to the slicer. Skewed parts, strange corners. Run em through netfabb and it fixes it 90% of the time.

my favorite was a dog model that the legs would print out normal height, but the rest of the model skewed about 50% taller in the z axis leaving the legs barely attached.

7. Stephen Capistron

So just adjusting the radius was not enough. I kind of figured that would be the case, but wanted to make sure I could re-create the artifacts before I keep troubleshooting.

I opened the models up in netfabb and everything showed as being okay. For what its worth I ran the repair anyways and exported new STL files. Not sure if I will set them up to print or not though.

I am going to try changing the orientation next to try and figure out if it is a mechanical issue related to the x or y axis. Print one as a control, one at a 45°, and another 90° off the control.

I think I might quickly draw the part myself in CREO and SW instead of going off the IGS file I had downloaded.

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

That sounds like a great approach. Those with Simplify3D can use the repair tools integrated with it, there are more options than Netfabb (not sure exactly what all netfabb includes for repairs, but running it through ALL of them will not hurt).

9. Stephen Capistron

So far I've printed one CREO model at a 45 angle and that came out a lot better.

I've printed controls at 45 and 90. Both of those have the weird over extrusion on the ends. Right now I have the CREO and SW models printing in the original orientation and a "repaired" model from netfabb at a 45.

I'm going to chalk this one up to a solid model issue. Now it is just a matter of determining if netfabb basic can repair the ugliness.

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If not, someone (like me) can run them through Simplify repair utilities if you want to try that.

11. Stephen Capistron

No worries. I can simply model the part myself.

I suppose that's what I get from downloading an IGS file.

12. Stephen Capistron

Oh and the "repaired" model made no change.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.