1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Cheap easy dial gauge

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Lance Weston, Jan 30, 2021.

1. Lance Weston

Lance Weston Active Member

I had purchased an $11 dial gauge from eBay awhile ago and decided it was time to mount it on the R2.. The back of these is plastic so I took the back off and cut off the bolt mount. I now had a flat surface. It was not needed to cut the stud mount all the way down to the plastic there is plenty of room.. If you are already using E3D hotends skip this ( You can buy a cheap E3D J6 wade hotend end with the fan mount for about $10 on eBay)

Taking a 30 mm fan as a guide, drill the mounting holes for the plastic heat sink clamp into the removed back cover of the dial gauge. Reassemble as shown. You can remove the hex heat sink and mount this to check the bed, or if you are using an E3D just snap it on.

This should take about 15 minutes and be under $30.

I snapped onto my heat sink and leveled the bed. The bed which had been leveled using the Robo tool was off worst case about .1 mm. Once I put dial gauge on I was able to run it around the bed and level to .01 mm at each corner. Took about two minutes. It is a snap when just adjusting screws to a gauge. I am planning to take an old 30 mm fan and cut the fan out and use it as a 10 mm spacer so as to move further away from the shroud.

I decided to replace the back of the dial caliper and attached the two stl files. It also requires 2-M3 threaded inserts 2-long M3 screws and 2- M3 thumb nuts. This works much better.

Attached Files:

#1 Lance Weston, Jan 30, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2021