1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Choice of glass/bed R1+

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by 4sfaloth, Mar 29, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 4sfaloth

4sfaloth Member

Hi all,

A loong time ago the original glass bed on my R1+ got chipped away in some parts. At the time I tried to search for possible solutions, and ended up buying a regular glass cut to size for like 4€ and clamped it on top of the original one. This has served my well for quite some time, mostly printing miniatures and and some larger objects with good flag bases.

Recently however I've been trying to print some objects which appear to be more difficult, in what concerns bed adhesion. In particular I'm having trouble printing tall and thin support structures or thin objects altogether (for example small flexi-animals) since some parts of them tend to snap out of the glass. After spending some time playing with several other parameters (eg: print temperature, fiddling with the z-offset to get it "just right") I decided to try and remove the regular glass and print directly on the original print bed. It worked like a charm on the first attempt.

So my question is, is this to be expected? Does the original glass (borosilicate I believe) have better adhesion properties than regular glass? If so, is it possible to buy a sheet of this glass type just like we can with regular glass, or can we only get it from specialty providers?

Any other tips/help is of course welcome.

Thanks in advance

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

3. 4sfaloth

4sfaloth Member

@mark tomlinson thank you for your quick reply and suggestion.
    I'm really struggling to understand why I seem to have more several adhesion problems with the regular glass when compared to the original bed. I suppose it could be
    1. The glass being more uneven. I find this explanation unlikely, because I tend to print relatively small objects
    2. The glass being cooler or with a worse temperature distribution. Given that I'm clamping the glass on top of the original, and that the thermal sensors are on the original one I suppose that when the original bed is at 60º the top one is probably much cooler, and might even never achieve that temperature.
    Do you think it's any of the above, or something else entirely?

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Not enough data to make a wild guess :)
    Every filament type is different and honestly different vendors of the same type of filament will behave differently.

The key(s) to good adhesion on the bed for ABS and PLA is:
    1) having the bed level
    2) having the Z offset correct for your printer (it is a small number, but will vary for every printer)*
    3) depending on the filament having the bed temperature correct. PLA can be printed on a room temperature bed, but most others can not.

Some folks use adhesion assistants (like hair spray, glue sticks or even this stuff: https://airwolf3d.com/shop/wolfbitenano-prevents-pla-3d-printed-parts-from-warping/)

*if this is wrong then nothing will work very well

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Nylons and PolyCarb and other filament types generally do require bed heat and in some cases -- a lot of it.

6. 4sfaloth

4sfaloth Member

I am working with PLA only for now. I always set the bed to 60º and use hair spray as well.
    I am aware of 1) and 2), but I thought the auto-level calibration of the R1+ should take care of 1)?

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Not on the version of autoleveling used by the version of Marlin in the R1 series :)
    This is why for best results with ABL (the version in the R1) you need to make sure the X axis is pretty well level before expecting autoleveling to help. In particular the Z home switches need to trigger at mostly the same spot.

Watch the first video here: http://community.robo3d.com/index.php?threads/helpful-videos-novice-expert.7478/

@Marquis Johnson did a great job of explaining this (and while he did this with an R1, the R1+ behaves exactly the same)

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Considering that PLA works on a room temperature bed, that seems a bit hot for a PLA bed temperature :)
    I do use bed heat sometimes with PLA, but never that hot.

9. 4sfaloth

4sfaloth Member

So the heated bed might actually be hindering bed adhesion? I was unaware of that :O What would be the recommended temperature for PLA?

I must say I am surprised to hear this. I watched the first video attentively and it seems to me he said the software should compensate for a non-level bed, as long as the rod's alignment is not terrible. Is that not the case?

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It will not work quite as well as he might have implied.
    Because the default algorithm they use in Marlin is one where they sample points (9 for example) and then calculate a level plane that intersects all 9 points (bilinear leveling). Well if the bed is warped enough or has dips in pots other than the sample points... this will not be great. The better approach is MESH leveling.

All that said, even on the couple of machine I DO run autoleveling, they are manually leveled as close as possible. Most I run no autoleveling because the manual leveling is fine.

11. 4sfaloth

4sfaloth Member

hum... ok. I'm pretty my rod is quite level, but I do have some dips (due to chipped off glass) on some of the sample points. Perhaps that is ruining the calibration. Using the regular glass bed on top of the original one fixes that I guess

So just to wrap up, you also recommend that I lower the bed temperature for PLA? what would you recommend?

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yes, putting a sheet of float glass on top definitely reduces the error in the autoleveling
    As far as temperatures... this is something that you have to decide/test for. Everyone will have a different environment for the printer and everyone will have different "best" settings. If what you have works, then use it. I would not expect that you would need that the bed to be that hot, but I am not using your printer in your space ;)

If you want to experiment then go for it. Start off with a room-temp bed and run a small print and increase temp as you test. See where it works best for you. If you have the Z offset dialed in to give you enough squish on the first layer you should be able to get decent adhesion with less heat than that using PLA.

13. 4sfaloth

4sfaloth Member

@mark tomlinson alright I'll try reducing temperature a bit once I get other things more stable, thank you much for all the help!

Just one final question (sorry! :p). Some time ago I had some issues with auto-level (it happened the thing shown in the video where one of the switches did not return to close position during calibration and so z-axis get going up). I fixed it by following one of your suggestions: tightening the clamp around the switch so that it was more pressed against the axis. Just to confirm: is there such a things as an "over-tightened clamp"? Like, does the right-side clamp need to have the same tightness as the left side one, or as long as they make the switches return to closed position then they're good to go?

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Those clamps just hold the switch in position against the threaded nut (which then makes it open/close correctly as the crossbar is lifted/lowered) so no... you can't really over-tighten them unless you strip the screw or break the little carrier it is in.

If you have the two switches in positions where they both open as close together as possible then you are good. That would mean that your X axis is as level as you can get it. Sure, one might open first more often, but if they both open with a very small distance of each other that is where you want to be.

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You can check all of that with the power off and manually moving the threaded rods too... just watching and listening to the switches will tell you when they open.

16. 4sfaloth

4sfaloth Member

Ok, auto-leveling seems to be working fine once I put the other glass on top of the original one. Clearly the dents on the probe points were screwing the calibration.
    Thanks for the help

mark tomlinson likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.