1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered clicking while printing infill???

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Kirk, Apr 14, 2015.

1. Kirk

Kirk Member

So I'm not sure what I'd doing this? I have the original j print head and while doing infill over an area of a couple square inches or more it starts making a clicking sound and will also sometimes fail with a jam?

I'm running plI with an inline oilier at 220c-230c?

Any ideas??? Maybe a partial jam?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Just maybe the PTFE liner has failed.

3. Kirk

Kirk Member

I was thinking about getting some floss to clean the print head but if it would be the ptfe tube how would I resolve that? Would I have to replace it? And how would I do that?

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Dismantle the hotend from the extruder and you should be able to pull out the PTFE liner.
    It should be intact. If it is melted or crimped you have a problem.

They sell replacements (ask robo for one for starters if you want) or you could buy a chunk of PTFE tube from eBay.

5. Kirk

Kirk Member

Ok I'll send an inquiry to them about it.... I think I remember seeing a video they did about hot to remove it but I thought it also ruined it in the process?

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I don't know, honestly (but I rather think not). My J-Head is in a box, it was on the printer maybe a month.

7. Kirk

Kirk Member

Did you upgrade to the e3d? I was thinking about doing it to the v6 but wasn't sure about the wiring? Have you had any issues which what you put in? I just figured I would use the j head unroll I nedded to replace it.

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yes, but at the time it was the v5 :)
    Never an issue with it other than needing an oiler at one point after swapping nozzles.
    I have printed a number of times without it, but better safe than sorry many hours into the print.

I helped other folks install the v6 (one just a few weeks ago) it is still painless and a good upgrade.

You may one day want to use some of the other new filaments (like Nylon) and they require hotter extrusion than ABS.

9. Kirk

Kirk Member

What kit woild you recommend for a new upgrade?

10. Kirk

Kirk Member

How long does it take (roughly) and what does it intale?

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The v6 is current and easy enough to install.

couple of hours max (if you are slow and take your time) an hour would be normal. You remove the hotend from the carriage, disconnect the heater and thermistor. Assemble the new hotend, then assemble it onto the X carriage again. Lastly wire in the heater core and thermistor. You can patch the thermistor into the old wires, but run the heater core all the way back to the RAMPS.

Oh, almost forgot. Hot tighten it when done. Heat to 280 or so and tighten the heat break into the heat sink and the heater block onto the heat break. Do not over torque, but get it snug.

12. Kirk

Kirk Member

So it's kinda plug and play. Does it attach to the xcarrage the same way as the j head does... Just 2 set screws and doesn't the software the software Max out around 240 ....would I have to reflash the board?

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yes, and yes. update and reflash the firmware.

The mounting is identical to the J-Head*, you will need to re-level the bed since the head is much smaller than the J-head, but you ought to be an 'old hand' at that by now. I like to claim it never takes more than 5-10 minutes these days :)

*do yourself a favor and DO NOT re-use the two screws that hold the hotend in place if they are the old phillips head style. Swap them for hex head (I think they are M3 -- read Melodies old FAQ it had that tidbit in there and it is an important one -- they will strip if you try to re-use them).

14. Kirk

Kirk Member

Where would I find the old faq?

Would I need to relevel the bed if I have the auto level?

15. jbigler1986

jbigler1986 Active Member

You will need to play with your z offset. Also if you have dual fans installed you may need to install new fan ducts as well.

16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member