1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

CNC or Laser?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Harry, Jul 4, 2013.

?

CNC or Laser?

1. CNC

66.7%
  2. Laser

33.3%
  1. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

Hey guys, so I am getting interested in other ways of "prototyping" or "manufacturing" and just stuff in the DIY world in general. I was wondering if any of you have a Laser cutter/engraver and why you would recommend that, and then if any of you have a CNC machine, why you recommend that. Or if you have both, why you recommend one over the other. Or if you don't have either just in general your thoughts and why. Thanks!

2. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

unless you are going to be making exotic cuts into wild materials your laser I think is still too expensive. It would be cleaner and faster and be more precise so you have to keep those things in mind as well A good cnc can do pretty much the same kind of thing and though it is precise it won't be as clean as a laser cutting. Maintenance costs on the laser components would probably out do the CNC machine as well, but you forgot one thing that would be hard for either to do and that is a lathe If I had the extra play money I would seriously look for a good quality CNC machine and get a decent lathe as well cover more bases and still get decent quality. but remember you also need the time to do all of this.

3. concreat

concreat New Member

CNC is not comparable to laser, routing and lasers are much more similar.

The term 'CNC' generally refers to Computer controlled milling machines. capable of making parts with depth.

Where as a router and a laser cutter and generally only capable of XY movement, and very limited Z movement, generally less than 100mm even on large routing machines.

When comparing CNC milling machines and routing tables around the same price range, the router will have a much much much larger cut area, could even be 20-30 times larger, this is because they can be built much less strong as they only have to move in the XY normally, using a router to do a CNC milling machines job will over time destroy the bearings and in turn the accuracy. milling machines are built to take a lot more force and hence their 'cut area' is much smaller, within the same price bracket. also milling machines have much beefier steppers as well as tool driver motors.

to answer your question:

They both have their merits. I'd recommend you buy both if you have the money. but if you had to choose one I'd recommend a router.

A. You can cut a much more diverse range of materials, Carbon fiber, aluminium, wood (proper grown wood, not MDF or ply), and much more.
    B: lasers require a lot more maintenance, you need to clean the mirrors and aligning them can be a real pain.
    C: Routers can cut much thick material as they can make multiple passes taking off a little bit at a time.
    D: Routers will give you a much nicer edge, it will be perfectly vertical, unlike a laser cutter where the focal point is generally set to the middle of the material, so the cut will be angled. laser can often burn the edge or melt it, which leaves it deformed
    E: The heat from a laser will deform plastic, which is no good.

I'd take a router over a laser just for the fact that you can cut much more stuff.

That's about all I can be bothered writing, any questions?

References:
    I work in a workshop with laser, routing and milling machines.

4. bringjustn

bringjustn Member

For my 2 cents worth, I say go the CNC route first, assuming you are referring to a mill.
    My reasons for a CNC Mill are (yes some similar ones to concreat):
    - you can use the CNC milling machine to create some of the parts to build the laser cutter if you find you need it.
    - Depending on your set up you can use it as a router and make some precise cuts, though you do loose much more material in the process compared to a laser
    - You can make more intricate parts with a mill, at least 3D parts.
    - Cheaper to maintain and repair and easier to find parts, sometimes if you notice something is wearing out you can machine a replacement before it is totally shot.
    - I just plane like CNC and manual machining, then again I went to school for it and if I didn’t become an engineer I would have been a 6th generation machinist.
    Laser cutters are something to interests me and one day I hope to have one in a shop alongside of a nice Bridgeport with a CNC box on it, and a manual lathe will a CNC box as well. But until then I can do what I would recommend to you, see if you live near a hackerspace or makerspace that has a laser cutter and a CNC mill that you can use. This also might be a good way for you to get some personal hands on experience to make the decision for yourself, even if you have used both types of machines at different times, playing with them back to back might be the most helpful to make the choice.

5. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

6. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

what are you gonna be cutting, a wooden built machine will be horrible at cutting certain materials.

7. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

cnc means "computer numerical control" our 3d printers are cnc machines.

it is not inclusive to cnc milling machines.

8. concreat

concreat New Member

No I realize that Cambo. but anyone in the industry or anyone with a little know how will refer a 'CNC milling machine' as a 'CNC machine'.

Mills where the first to become CNC'd (as far as I know), so hence the terminology.

Its like calling a vacuum cleaner a 'hoover' or a Skid-steer a 'bobcat'.

9. concreat

concreat New Member

That wood constructed router would be fine for cutting MDF, balsa, soft pine, plastic, carbon fiber, any softer materials essentially.

Although the cut quality would slowly degradate over time.

10. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

What is a machine, like that, that budget you would recommend? I really want to do stuff like iphone stands, where it is a simple little slot in the wood, or cut parts for stuff like the printrbot printers, or filasturder case. Maybe once or twice try metal.

11. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

i woudnt use that machine you linked for metal cutting, it would be horrible.

12. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member

what is something that is perfect for what I said in post #11, but excluding metal

13. allted

allted New Member

14. Harry

Harry Team ROBO 3D
    Staff Member