1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Comprehensive global database of Filaments/Sellers

Discussion in 'Printing Filament' started by Kenjinp, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Kenjinp

Kenjinp New Member

Hey Ya'll

I'm a dev at THRE3D and I just spent the last couple of weeks updating our database.

We should have very nearly every unique Filament supplier/reseller In The World on our website. (including resins, powders and filaments)

If I missed anyone or you find some incorrect information, or just want to tell me how to improve the site, please let me know :]

Here's the link: thre3d.com/category/materials

I hope ya'll find it useful!

2 people like this.
  2. Melody Bliss

Melody Bliss New Member

Hi kenjinp. I've added you to our Robo 3D User's FAQ as section E.0.

I went to look at the page. It looks currently to be completely unsorted. Is there a way you guys can add in various methods of sorting -- for example "by material style" (filament, resin, powder), "by company" to list all the items by a single company, "by material type" (so PLA, ABS, Nylon), etc? That would make it alot easier to navigate.

3. Kenjinp

Kenjinp New Member

Thanks Melody!

Thanks for the feedback, too. It's very valuable us couple guys making the website, and its the only way we can improve the site. We're working on the backend right now to create some filters and sorting methods to make navigation easier. We've just got done populating the database with all these materials, so making those sorting features you mentioned is next on our list :]

4. Melody Bliss

Melody Bliss New Member

Think of making the categories that a material can be part of flexible. For example, instead of using a enumerated index where an item can only EITHER be "PLA" or "ABS" you leave out possibilities of materials that are fusion of multiple materials like "PLA" and "PHA" (aka ColorFabb).

By allowing flexible categories you could have, using colorfabb again as an example, for blue ColorFabb:
    (obviously this grouping is something I'm just coming up with off the top of my head and doesn't represent a real database necessarily)

name="ColorFabb"
    tags={
    materialType:filament
    materialSize:1.75
    materialSize:3.00
    material: PLA
    material: PHA
    company:ColorFabb
    companyURL:http://colorfabb.com/
    distributor: {PrintedSolid, "http://www.printedsolid.com/"}
    color:blue
    }

and let's say you later add red ColorFabb. Instead of a whole additional item, you could just add a single tag to the object "ColorFabb" of "color:red". Now it's describes an object with multiple possible versions. This gives you ALOT of flexibility for the future.

(does it show that I do architecture work for systems? :))