1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered Computer

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by mrfreelancelot, Nov 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrfreelancelot

mrfreelancelot New Member

Does the computer/laptop need to be connected/on while the printer is printing?

I only ask because I know some projects may take hours and Im debating on getting a computer dedicated to printing, so that it doesn't keep me from working on other projects while im printing a file that may take hours?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

If you print from the SD card, no. Otherwise, yes.

You can use a Raspberry Pi as the printer computer...Search for Octopi.

3 people like this.
  3. bamhm182

bamhm182 Active Member

I tried having a few different computers running the printer. They were all pretty low spec and would have a lot of problems with freezing for a second or outright crashing. The Octopi does look like a pretty neat controller. I'm also a fan of the Smart LCD Controller XXL. I have one of those and haven't had a single problem with it. Overall, I would highly recommend just getting a controller to print from.

On a side note, does anyone know if the octopi would be able to work in conjunction with the Smart LCD Controller XXL? I've been thinking about buying a Raspberry Pi just to test it out.

4. mrfreelancelot

mrfreelancelot New Member

Thanks guys... I found the Smart LCD Controller XXL but not the Octopi. I may go with the Smart LCD

5. Galaxius

Galaxius Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.