1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Connection issue R1

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Lubik, Nov 16, 2020.

1. Lubik

Lubik New Member

Hi guys, i need help, because I'm at the end of the ideas.

From the beginning.
    I received a used Robo 3D R1 printer purchased in 2014.
    I inserted the usb key into the PC and followed the instructions.
    I installed MatterControl and when I had to connect usb,
    windows 8.1 Pro wrote me the message "USB device not recignized".

Capture.JPG

After clicking opened this window(down):
    Capture2.JPG

I tried:
    install Repetier-Host -> nothing
    update MatterControl -> nothing
    update drivers -> nothing
    I bought a brand new cable -> nothing

I tried to use other pc with different systems. Older, newer (win XP, win 8, win 8.1 Pro, Win 10). Still the same issue.
    After updating the drivers, I restarted the PC several times, then reinstalled MatterControl and Repetier-Host.
    I tried updating software. Nothing.

Next I didn't know what to do, so I searched youtube and found some tutorials. Everything failed.
    I searched on google, lots of tutorials and trials, no success.
    I've spent at least 20 hours on it. I don't know what now. The printer can be turned on, but I can't connect to it. (lights up, makes sounds)

I don't know if there is a problem with arduino because I don't know how to find out. While looking, I found the RESET button on the arduino and shield, but I did not press it.

I really don't know what to do. Buy a new arduino or shield? In fact, I have no idea where the mistake is.
    I will be very happy if you help me.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Try to install the Arduino drivers.
    You can do that by installing the Arduino IDE (used for programming the Arduino) since it includes the windows drivers when it gets installed.

https://www.arduino.cc/en/software

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Worst case the easiest way to deal with the electronics is to buy an all-in-one kit and replace the Arduino Mega, the RAMPS 1.4 and all the little stepper driver cards. Then load the firmware and it should be fine. Example All-In-One kit (shop around -- there are a number of vendors):

https://smile.amazon.com/Aokin-Printer-Controller-Arduino-Heatsink/dp/B07Q5R6YSK

I can find you the original "beta" machine firmware too if you decide to go that route. You can try replacing it bits and pieces (like just replace the Arduino, then the RAMPS, etc) but I usually suggest just replacing it all in one shot and then later go back and sort through the replaced parts to figure out what is defective. (edit: plus the all-in-one kits include an LCD controller which is a really nice feature to add)

#3 mark tomlinson, Nov 16, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
  4. Lubik

Lubik New Member

I try it before, but i try it now again. Nothing happend.
    Now i need to order new all-in-one kit, as you wrote. Plus i will have lcd :)

Can i replace A4988 stepper motor driver with DRV8825? I find original kit with it.
    Thank you for your help.

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yes, the DRV8825 will work in place of the A4988
    But if you change the steps to 1/32 then you need to edit the firmware.
    The A4988 with all three jumpers installed is 1/16 microstepping, but the 8825 those 3 jumpers -> 1/32 microstepping.

https://www.instructables.com/Installing-and-Configuring-DRV8825-Stepper-Drivers/

Double the steps/mm on each axis you swap those in the CONFIGURATION.H then reload the firmware.

6. Lubik

Lubik New Member

Ok, sure.
    I'll let you know when my order arrives and if it will works.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you set the 9925 to work with 1/16 (which means changing the jumpers) then you don't have to edit the firmware.
    Personally, I'd edit it and use the 1/32 microsteps...

8. Lubik

Lubik New Member

Hi, i finally received Arduino Kit. After connecting to computer it no longer wrote "USB device not recognized".
    I followed the instructions on this forum, download firmware (ROBO3DR1V3_06112015) and verify it in arduino software.
    I had a small problem, but I solved it quickly (download and replace SDBASE).
    But if i try to upload firmware, it wrote "the selected serial port does not exist or your board is not connected"
    2.JPG 3.JPG
    I think, i have all newest drivers.
    I try it on two computers (same effect)

More info, which may help:
    -Tools->Get board info:
    (BN: Unknown board
    VID: 1A86
    PID: 7523
    SN: Upload any sketch to obtain it)
    1.JPG 4.JPG

-Serial monitor:
    ( Error opening serial port 'COM9'. (Port busy) )
    5.png

-device manager:
    (no visible error symbol here)
    6.JPG

Can you help me please?

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Make sure you have the Arduino drivers installed...
    Make sure that you know exactly which COM port the printer is attached as (Windows Device Manager will tell you)
    Make sure when you are trying to upload the firmware that NO other program is accessing the Arduino... Close anything down that could try and talk to the arduino.

10. Lubik

Lubik New Member

I tried all the options, I installed all the drivers several times, I tried different cables, etc. There was still a connection problem, a COM port problem. I connected the arduino without a shield to all USB (various COM ports) one by one and I uninstalled the device drivers. Then I restarted the PC. I reconnected the arduino and let the PC download what it needed (compared to normal it took a very long time). Of course, I changed the arduino to a COM port that was not yet occupied (I always had ports 3 and 4 occupied, I put arduino on COM 6). I opened the software for arduino, verified and uploaded the program.

I did it for the first time, but I think it worked. Confirm me please that it is done. I attached a screenshot.

Attached Files:

• 10.JPG
      10.JPG
      File size:
      121.2 KB
      Views:
  11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Looks OK from that screen shot

12. Lubik

Lubik New Member

OK, great. I have finally connection with printer. Thank you very much Mark :)
    (Please mark theme as solved)