1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Connector caught on fire!!!!

Discussion in 'Technical Support' started by Rob0tuss1n, Jun 10, 2014.

1. Rob0tuss1n

Rob0tuss1n New Member

The molex connector on the underside of the bed just caught on fire. I'm glad I was near the machine when it happened. I noticed the smell and saw smoke when I turned around...

I have sent a request in on the main site... I received my printer last Friday. Had it less than a week. I'm extremely concerned, as I've already walked away - even left my house during prints. What would've happened under those circumstances? I don't want to know.

So I'm now without a functioning heat bed, and extremely gun shy of the printer now. It took robo3d over a week to reply to an inquiry of the shipping status of the unit (It had been nearly 8 weeks since my order was placed when I inquired) Am I going to be stuck with this waiting game when something goes wrong too, even when this is an obvious hardware problem? There is no phone number on the web site to get help or EVEN LEAVE A VOICEMAIL!

Whats the resolution to this? I don't know, but it feels like I just wasted $800.

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

They're better about technical support requests, especially one of this severity. They get more shipping status inquiries than they can handle.

Be sure to also submit this here: http://www.robo3dprinter.com/pages/technical-support

Please take pictures of the damage, and submit with your tech request.

Also every printer comes with a warning to never leave it unattended. Almost every user does at some point, but it's never advisable.

3. Rob0tuss1n

Rob0tuss1n New Member

What's the rating of that heater? Can I get the spec?
    I'm sure it isn't fused since it caught fire - probably a worthwhile upgrade..

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

The kapton heater has 1.4ohms of resistance, at 12v that's ~8.5A of power. The molex connector they use is rated for 10 or 12A.

I'm wondering if there was a short circuit or something. I also want to verify what kind of connector you were using, hence the picture request.

5. Rob0tuss1n

Rob0tuss1n New Member

Photo attached. I've had this a week, so this is the stock connector..

Attached Files: