1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Could you help a noob to upgrade the pip?

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by tiagomaricate, Aug 5, 2020.

1. tiagomaricate

tiagomaricate Member

Well... almost a complete noob.
    Despite I had worked with front end and some servers, I never go to deep.
    Also, I have no idea if the printer works "exactly" like a comom server, so is better to ask for help before mess everything.

Basically, after installing any plugin on Octopint, I'm receiving this message:

You are using pip version 9.0.1, however, version 20.2 is available.
    You should consider upgrading via the 'pip install --upgrade pip' command.

From start: I have no idea how to proceed :(

Could someone help me, please?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Here is the rub, with the stock version of Raspbian and OctoPrint that is running on the Pi ... there is really precious little you can actually update/upgrade. If you do try any upgrades you will break the LCD screen menus since they are using software that is no longer supported and updating it will break it. This is because the LCD menu system is itself a plugin to OctoPrint (as are a lot of other "bits" and most are written in Python which is what PIP is all about).

If Robo had kept maintaining/supporting the printers then a new version of "RoboOS" would have been released to cure that. Didn't happen :)

There is a community OS version that some folks put together and it is updateable (and on a later version of everything). I am not sure what state it is in or what is included, but you can use a new SD card to load it and swap it in to see if that works for you.,

@tkoco might know what the status of it is or @WheresWaldo

I use OctoPrint generically and remotely on all of my printers and the LCD is not really important to me...

3. tiagomaricate

tiagomaricate Member

So basically is like updated octoprint don't support the "old/non updated" version of Robo OS/LCD plugin?

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Bingo.
    The Robo LCD code depends on a python library called Kivvy and it depends on a very specific version of that library... Bad code honestly. The end result is that upgrading the octoprint libraries will break the LCD menu. The printer will still work fine via OctoPrint and web control, but the LCD menu will be completely different.

The community version is over here: https://github.com/WheresWaldo/CommunityOS
    if you want to try it. Read the section: "How an enduser will use the image?"

5. tiagomaricate

tiagomaricate Member

So what is the last version of pip I can use?
    Ans about to install Kivvy on the last pip version? No way?

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You can't upgrade much of anything and continue to use the Robo image (and LCD menu).
    You can experiment with the community one I linked above and it can be updated as needed, but the Robo LCD menu will not be there.
    There are other LCD menus you can use with OctoPrint (plugins) and some are decent -- they are just not the one Robo created.

If you experiment on a new SD card and SD card image for the Pi then you can always go back to using the SD card that Robo provided if you want to.

7. tiagomaricate

tiagomaricate Member

I have no problem replacing the original interface for another one, with customized features.
    I'm a designer, so build a good interface is not a problem. Actually, this is my job.
    My main concern is about mess everything and can't return it.
    As I said, I'm a designer, not a developer lol
    I have some acknowledgment about coding due I worked with C#, PHP, and as front end during some time. Also, I studied for 18 months of electronics (analogic and digital) at a college.
    But I don't remember most of the things. I have notions, but not security to take a decision like "I will cut the red wire" lol
    This is my first FDM printer and I have a feeling that still a Ferrari.
    Could not be the crema de la crema from 3D printed but even after years, it still a very good printer.
    I gave a check on that link, but as it too much time without updates and looks not finalized, I ended up paying not much attention.

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

As long as you keep a copy of you original SD card -- you can always just roll back by using it :)

tkoco likes this.
  9. tiagomaricate

tiagomaricate Member

Got it!
    So probably there is a SD card on raspberry and another on on the ROBO board?

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

There should not be one on the Robo board. Not on an R2 :) That would be a pain to get to since it is buried inside the printer (much like the Pi).

This is the Robo board:

20170218_121420_small.jpg

11. tiagomaricate

tiagomaricate Member

Hummmm... so its only on Pi...
    I will check this.