1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

de-lamination between layers and infill

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by obzelite, Feb 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. obzelite

obzelite New Member

i can get pla to work fine, abs is just doing my head in.

bed is at 80, extruder is at 210. every layer de-laminates

Attached Files:

2. polylac

polylac New Member

most likely the temperature is to low, so they don't melt togehter.

3. 1d1

1d1 Active Member

For PLA, your bed temp is way high - 50 is plenty. For ABS, your extruder temp is too low - try 230.

4. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

That is a strange first layer. How are you setting the Z height? It should be squished onto the print bed.

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

+1

6. obzelite

obzelite New Member

For pla I had the bed off. , I think this may be the second layer or third layer, I stopped the print after I saw the delamination.
    Ill give it another go at a higher extruded temp. Should I have the fan on? I presume that's why it's there, but I wondered if it was cooling the abs to quickly.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It is also too high initially--as SteveC pointed out--that first layer is not correct. See tesseracts threads on this (with examples)

8. obzelite

obzelite New Member

thats not the first layer, the first layer is actually stuck together and 'squished' i'm guessing the heat of the bed helped a lot on that layer. as the second and third layers cool you can watch them curl as they dont stick to the layer below.

haven't had time to retry with higher extruder temp, but tonite i'll run mr jaws as a test, i can print that with pla no issues.

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It can be more art than science to find the settings that work best for ABS.

10. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

For ABS the fan should only be on for sections where the extruder goes over or next to the last pass over and over with a short time interval. For instance with a small area protrusion or gears with multiple walls. Enable the automatic cooling settings for this but keep the max fan speed as low as possible. If the fan is on high you will see perhaps hear shrinking. I can hear the hairspray cracking as the bottom layers shrink when the fan goes on high. For ABS also watch out for drafts. I put a box cover loosely on the front and back to help with this.

11. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

What is your bed temp? It should be something like >90 for all layers. Check the temp graph to make sure it is not cutting out from the undersized RAMPS polyfuse.

12. obzelite

obzelite New Member

once youre a few layers in i'm not sure the bed temp will help with anything. if the bed is hot to touch and 5 layers up the abs isnt even warm then its kinda pointless i would think?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.