1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Dead Fan Clogged Extruder

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by GorillaBob, Sep 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GorillaBob

GorillaBob New Member

After a month of great prints, I went out to print today. I loaded the file and started everything preheating. Once I hit print, everything seemed to be going great but only intermittent blobs of PLA we're coming out. I aborted the print and tried extruding with the z axis raised up. A opulent small spurts came out. I retracted and reinserted the filament but it wouldn't feed and then just stopped. I could tell it wasn't entering the extruder.
    I have a Solidoodle 3 I have been using for a year and it clogs the extruder about every 4 months. I was pretty sure that is what I was seeing, even though it is with PLA instead of abs like on the SD3.
    so while pondering how best to clear the extruder, I noticed that the small fan on the front of the extruder wasn't turning. I tried to turn it by hand and it was obvious that it was dead. That lead me to my 6 hour research session through all the trouble shooting threads. And I think I know what happened. With the fan dead, the heat was able to move up the extruder higher than normal. Which would lead to the filament softening before it should. Which leads to the extra hot filament to work up the barrel until it gets to a cooler section and then it cools and hardens, stoping the new filament from entering, and causing one heck of a jam!
    So with the help gleaned from the threads here, I removed the head and tried to clean it out. I haven't made much progress. The barrel is still full of PLA and I have a nice burn on my finger from the hot wire I used to insert into the barrel to try to clean out the filament.
    You all have been so great. I thank you and hope you might have some more suggestions on cleaning our this mess.

P.S. I already submitted a request for a new fan.

Attached Files:

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yes, it is called 'heat creep' and is a real problem since the melt zone in the extruder is supposed to be a fairly tight zone.
    Assuming this is an E3D or Hexagon, what you can try is removing the hotend from the printer (but leaving the heater core and other wiring attached) and then heating it up with it laying on the bed. Once it gets to temp use pliers to remove as much as you can from the feed side. If that does not completely clear it you can remove the nozzle and you should be able to clear everything else out (hopefully you can do that cold, but you may have to do that hot as well).

Yea, it means being very careful as you are working with a 'hot' and loose hotend.

I have swapped nozzles a number of times and I always do that hot, but having the hotend loose from the carriage adds a bit of extra complexity.

Be. Careful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.