1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Different configuration for first 3 layers possible?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by E Toscano, Sep 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. E Toscano

E Toscano New Member

Hello,

I've been experimenting mostly on PLA to make a decent print with a "simple" add .STL file, hit Print process, and finally came to a routine that works like a charm. The big BUT is, it involves some manual changes in the extrusion multiplier once I hut the Print command. I'll explain what I've setup.

MatterControl 1.1 latest release
    Cura Slicer
    Robo3D PLA 1Kg spool.
    Bed Temp: 55°/50° (first layer/other layers)
    Extruder Temp: 182°/177° (It makes a difference!)
    Z offset: .75 ( I think it does nothing in Cura)
    3 Layers on top & bottom

Now for the tricky part,

Once I hit print and it reaches printing temp. I have to lower the extrusion multiplier to .6 until it finish the first layer which is almost .1mm thick (checked with vernier)
    Then I have to jump and increase to .75 on the 2nd layer and .85 for the third.
    and finally, when almost done with the 3rd layer, set extrusion multiplier back to 1.

The prints come out really good.
    Now I don't mind waiting by the printer on a small print to change the settings on the first 3 layers, but for large prints it can be a little pain in the b-hind.

Question for all of you that know more than I do:
    1.- Is it possible to pre define this options to automatically add in GCode before actually printing?
    2.- Does anybody figure out a way to prevent this (picture) from happening? I'm guessing it has to do with the nozzle being blocked somehow. it happens with PLA as well as ABS, hot end is up, away from curled end Curls in filament.jpg

Best regards.

Eduardo Toscano

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Some software will let you have different settings for different layer ranges, not all. Depends on the complexity of the slicer--you will have to play around (and try different slicers).

You might try seasoning the nozzle (you can find a description of that here on the forum -- use serach, or in goggle). That may help with the sort of blockages you are seeing IF this is PLA. I was routinely getting this with PLA, I added an oiler and have not had this happen even once since.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.