1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Different extruder temp from past and now

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by deeph, Jun 9, 2015.

1. deeph

deeph Member

I have installed E3D v6 hot end. A while ago I print my TPE filament at 215c and have a great result. But now I have to print my TPE at 228c with the same printing speed if I use below that temperature it will jammed (filament will be twisted to the hobbed bolt). What causes the difference in temperature ? I have also cleaned my hot end with wire.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Thermistor differences.
    The new thermistor is either not defined with the right calibration curve in the firmware (you did reset it when you switched to E3D?) or the new thermistor is just reading better/worse/differently than the original one.

I wouldn't get too caught up in it as long as the temperatures you are reading are consistent. Just adapt to the new readings as the norm. You could measure the hotend with a laser probe (I did this just for giggles) and see how accurate the thermistor is. It can be a bit of a pain to get an accurate reading since the hot part of the hotend is rather small :)

3. deeph

deeph Member

Forgot, but maybe I didn't reset it and actually don't know how to reset. What I do just changing the Thermistor type on sketch when I change onto E3D hot end.

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yes, configuration.h has the thermistor type defined.
    The stock one was type 1 (EPCOS) I think (don't hold me to that) and I think E3D is type 5 (Semitec). Their website should be able to confirm this.

Look for this line in the file:

#define TEMP_SENSOR_0 1 //robo

I have since switched to the metal stud thermistor which is back to type 1 (same as stock was). This also works fine with my E3D.