1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered Differential ir video?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by regor, Aug 6, 2016.

1. regor

regor Member

Is there a Utube or instructional video showing step by step on how to install and set up a differental IR probe on the Robo R1 for an average tinkerer? I have read the post where experimentation was taking place, but would like a more affirmative way of going about installing this unit once it is bought. Seems like the firmware needs tweaking where the fail safes to the limit switches are turned off. This doesn't make me feel too good, especially if there is a goof up, so until I can get more positive ways of installing this, my Z switches will have to stay. I really like the idea of the IR sensor.

Novice Expert, if you're out there, think this would be a good project for you. Love you're videos, use them for guidance all the time.

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

@Marquis Johnson (novice expert) is a member and seems to be on frequently. Im personally happy with the z switches :)

Im a mechanic though lol...probably only like them because their simple ;-)

3. regor

regor Member

I agree, no need to over complicate or as they say if it ain't broke, don't try fixing it!

4. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Yeah...Marquis seems to be done upgrading Robos for awhile from his most recent videos. School is also starting back up and he gets slow releasing content during school. The IR thread really lays it out, but there is a lot to read and compile I understand. It is a great upgrade. I've never made a youtube video, but maybe I should to show the breakdown of this install. It really isn't that complicated to install. Not sure if I will create a video, but maybe...

5. regor

regor Member

It's exactly as you say a lot of info to digest, creating a lot of room for errors, that's why I was wondering if there's a better way of condensing it into something easier to digest for this old timer. I've already done the Z rod motor and titan upgrades to my R1 and I like the idea of not touching the bed with the nozzle, especially when it's hot. Already ruined a Zebra surface due to hot end touching it. I also found that with the titan upgrade that I had to add a counter weight balance over the left side support. Weighed out what the motor on the X axis was then made counter weight for it on the other end. Seemed like it would home Ok at first position then get confused on the other and print in the air. Counter weight made things Ok again. Titan is very light weight extruder.