1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved E3D V6 boot drooping below hotend nozzle.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Oisin, Oct 17, 2016.

1. Oisin

Oisin Member

Hi guys. Does anyone have the E3D V6 upgraded heater block?

I just installed mine and I noticed that the new silicon boot actually protrudes below the extruder nozzle when it heats up. The silicon boot protects the heater block and is crucial for me since I'm running a single 20CFM part fan that blasts air at the print.

Does anyone have the boot yet and if so, have you noticed the same thing? Can anyone suggest a solution as to how I might be able to keep it from drooping? I could always take it off but then I'll have issues with the hotend keeping its temperature when the fan turns on.

2. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

I know the size of the block increased and that is why the boot is designed to only work on the newer blocks with the cartridge style thermistor. I imagine that if the tolerances aren't close enough that the boot could fit too loose. Is it keeping it from extruding, just rubbing the part, both, something else? I have the V6 with the boot but not installed right now. Have you checked the E3D forum to see if others are having a similar issue?

3. Oisin

Oisin Member

I have the new block as well. I haven't ran a print with it yet because I was doing PID tuning for the new thermistor and 40W heater cartridge when I noticed it but if I were to run a print, the boot would rub all along the surface of whatever I was printing. It would definitely knock over support material. I'll take a look at their forums. I didn't even know they had them to be honest!

4. danzca6

5. Oisin

Oisin Member

Just found that thread myself. I'm not getting the leaking issue (yet). I've attached a picture of the boot as it sat before I did anything at all with the new configuration. Hadn't even heated it up once yet.

The second picture is without changing anything except heating up to 190C. I'm using a 0.25mm nozzle.

Definitely not even close to poking out as much as the nozzles on their website do. It does say they're optimised for 0.4mm nozzles but also states it would work for any size.
    http://e3d-online.com/Socks-Launch

Attached Files:

6. danzca6

I'd open a thread on their forum. Could be a QC issue they need to look into. Don't worry though, if Sanjay or others at E3D get ahold of this and it is an issue on their side they will send you a new one no charge. They are good about that.

7. Oisin

Oisin Member

No problem. Sorry for bothering this forum about it! Didn't know they had their own forum. Thanks for the help, Danzca.

8. danzca6

No problem at all man. I am very interested in the outcome. If you get a resolution please post what it was here for Robo users getting the new style V6. I wish you luck and I'll look out for your thread over there.

9. Oisin

Oisin Member

Will do! I posted a thread there.

10. Oisin

Oisin Member

Danzca solved this over on the E3D forums. The heat break needs to be installed before the nozzle. It should be flush with the heater block. Following this guide will set anyone having this issue straight: http://wiki.e3d-online.com/wiki/E3D-v6_Assembly

Rigmarol likes this.
  11. danzca6

Haha... That's awesome....I guess at least with having it answered on both sites folks will be able to find the help they need. Glad this worked out for you man. Cheers!