1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved E3D V6 Upgrade not working

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Ben Allgor, Nov 10, 2015.

1. Ben Allgor

Ben Allgor New Member

I finally solved this problem with installation of the E3D V6, but I thought I would post it in case someone else experiences it. I went through the normal installation instructions for the R1 , and everything looked good. But it would print 2 - 4 layers of a small part and quit. After some time I figured out that the temperature started dropping shortly after it started printing. The print continued for a while until the temperature got too low, and then it would stop.

I went through the log file from the terminal, and the G-Code, but I couldn't find anything wrong there. The thermistor was working because I was reading temperature from it. Next I put a multimeter on the voltage to the heater, and it looked fine until the print shut down. Then it went to zero. Finally I decided that without the boot to insulate the hot end and with the filament flowing through it, the heater wasn't able to maintain the temperature.

I then disconnected the part fan, and it printed the part. I then printed Marquis Johnson's Mark 11 part fan shroud so less air would hit the hot end. That didn't fix it so I used silicon rubber self-fusing tape to mold a partial boot. That with the fan shroud made a difference, but not enough. Then I slowed the speed way down this also helped, but it still wasn't wasn't printing well. The print was weak and rough.

I tried the old heater with the same results, but I looked up information on the heater and it was supposed to be 30W so I ordered a 40W heater from Amazon, and installed it this evening. I now have the fan shroud, the partial boot and the 40W heater, and it is working well.

I checked the heaters, and this is the Cold Resistance, Current @12.0V and Power dissipation.
    Original heater, 6.2 ohms, 1.8A, 21.6W
    E3D kit heater, 6.4 ohms, 1.9A, 22.8W
    New (40W) heater, 3.9 ohms, 3.1A, 37.2W

The plastic bag for the heater in the kit said 12V, but I wonder if it is a 24V heater.

I should have mentioned that I was printing PETG at 240C extruder and 80C bed.
    I hope this helps someone with a similar problem.

#1 Ben Allgor, Nov 10, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
    mark tomlinson likes this.
  2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Good move.
    I have a 40w heater core in both of the printers I have. The Volcano adapter came with one, but the E3D v6 came with a 25w core.