1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Extruder heating and jamming issues

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Hazrd, Feb 22, 2015.

1. Hazrd

Hazrd Member

I've been having troubles with the extruder jamming so I oiled the extruder and went to print an oiler but now the extruder is taking FOREVER to heat up and never actually reaches 210c.

When disassembling the thermistor wire came out (at least I think thats what it is, the smaller red and black pair) and I put it back in where I BELIEVE it goes, but I'm not 100% sure. Its a little hole next to the thicker wires in the extruder end.

Also, is the upgrade to the e3d hotend worth it? Will it eliminate my jamming problems if the oiler doesn't fix it? I've had to clear 3 or 4 jams in the past two days.

edit: I can push filament through the hotend, but its been heating for 25 minutes and its hovering around 200-203c

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Well, sounds like the thermistor is not seated well against the hotend heater block.

That description sounds like the correct location (for the E3D at least--I don't have a hex).
    It just may not be making great contact.

As for the E3d, you may (probably still will) want the oiler (that is true for most all-metal units).
    I have no issues with mine after installing the oiler.

3. Hazrd

Hazrd Member

Got it to stay in and the temp was north of 240... at what temp does it damage things?

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

?

What 'things'? The hotend is good for quite a bit (the all metal ones like the hex). So the thermistor and heater core are really the only two parts and the thermistor is good to a bit over 300 (good for somewhat more than that* but not accurate). If the heater was heating it is still good.

*varies by model, but generally keep it under 300

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You are probably fine. Run a test print.