1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Extruder keeps moving to the negative Z axis when manually controlling

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Mel, Oct 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mel

Mel New Member

Hi I'm having the exact same problem as these guys:

http://help.robo3dprinter.com/Answers/View/111/Keeps+traveling+in+negative+z+direction

Basically when manually controlling to the negative Z axis, the extruder does NOT stop when the tip touches the glass... Instead it keeps trying to move towards the negative Z axis, causing the Z-stopper switches to slip and spin uncontrollably... This almost destroyed one of my Z switches! Thankfully I was able to turn off the machine in time, but the ordeal exposed a wire from the insulator on one of the switches.

HOWEVER, before a print, the auto-level works perfectly, and the extruder tip stops moving as soon as it touches the glass. This means there is a bug in the manual controls!

Why is this happening? My firmware is robo3dr1autov1 and I'm using the latest matter control 1.1 on Windows 8.

Please note my Z relays are perfectly aligned as described in the setup guide... and my printer is brand new!

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Manual control does not respect the limit switches.

There is a firmware setting that disallows movement outside of the printers range, but because of how the auto-level works on the robo it's not used.

Don't tell it to go too negative...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.