1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Extruder motor still not working

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by xfire_dragonx, Aug 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xfire_dragonx

xfire_dragonx Member

My printer went down due to a extruder motor. I have replaced my board and have a new motor at this time. with the new motor is it a plug and play? I wasn't sure on the connecting wiring that came with the motor so i re wired a spare cable to match my old one that was connected to the old motor.

this is my new motor: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B075L35YYL/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Turned on the printer everything works except the extruder motor, not sure if the motor is wired differently than the original motor 42hs40-1704ja (1066mm)

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

That should be fine 4-wire stepper should match up as long as the wires to the motor are correct.
    Did you try that motor on another Axis to prove that it isn't the stepper driver board?

Also are you testing the extruder with the hotend hot? It will not run if the hotend is cold...
    Firmware will not allow extrusion to attempt if the hotend is less than whatever that cutoff temperature is (180 or 190 I forget exactly which). I have mine set to 175c

3. xfire_dragonx

xfire_dragonx Member

Thank you didn't know about the hotend being hot
    Thanks didn't realize the hotend needs to be hot myabe my motor didn't die..

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yea, you will get a warning from the firmware (in the terminal window) about "Cold extrusion prevented" :)

5. xfire_dragonx

xfire_dragonx Member

Thanks for all the help again, by the way I am so stupid my old motor does work. I didn't even think about heating the hot end to check the extruder motor. My lcd reprap discount display didn't say anything at the time.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Nah, sadly only the terminal window usually helps there :) Some slicers have that in a more obvious place so it is easier to see that error pop-up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.