1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Extruder Stepper not responding

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Nicola Gibson, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Nicola Gibson

Nicola Gibson New Member

Hello
    I spent yesterday rewiring my print bed heater because it stopped working a while ago. I have a pretty old Robo - I think it's the one before the R1 and after getting the bed to work (after some research I had wondered if I would have to change the RAMPS board but it is working so I thought it must be okay).
    I ran through some tests to make sure my x, y and z was alright and everything seemed okay and the last thing I tested (because it has never caused me trouble) was the extruder.

I was dead! I checked the connections and everything seemed fine. I scratched my head a bit and wondered if the RAMPS were to blame... I don't know how to tell! Anyway, feeling thoroughly deflated, I started to build the little kit I have and tidied up a bit and when I tested it the extruded was working. I did some ons and offs, some heating and checking and everything seemed okay so I went to bed feeling very pleased with myself and then when I moved it back to my workstation (thinking everything was hunky-dory) I have the same problem. Everything heats and works fine but the extruder doesn't respond. I have checked all the connections - I haven't taken anything apart in relation to the extruder so it hasn't been disturbed directly but it seems like a connection because it's intermittent.

I don't know what to do next because if it's a connection changing the RAMPS won't fix it will it? Do I need to be rewiring the stepper motor?! I not an expert at all, I'm relying on common sense so I'm hoping someone can shed some light, if possible please?
    Thanks

Nicola

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

First check the GCode terminal to see if Marlin is raising any errors when you try to extrude.
    If it is not raising any errors and the extruder should be extruding and it is not moving then you have a problem one of the following:

1) the wiring to the extruder stepper
    2) the stepper motor itself
    3) the stepper driver card (little card mounted on the RAMPS for the extruder channel)
    4) the ramps itself

Check the wiring. Swap the extruder stepper connection to another stepper motor (X or Y for example) and see if that motor works when you try to extrude. This will prove the wires/motor are good. Just do a test to eliminate the motor as the problem. If that doesn't work (neither motor spins when you extrude) you have an electronics issue. I'd start with replacing the stepper driver for the extruder (those are really cheap) and then move to the RAMPS if that did not help.

As usual I suggest you get a kit that has ALL of the electronics. This is an example, not promoting this seller -- many Amazon sellers have these so shop around:

https://www.amazon.com/OSOYOO-Printer-Controller-Stepper-Heatsink/dp/B0111ZSS2O

but those kits have all of the electronics (and a few extras like an LCD)

#2 mark tomlinson, Apr 3, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
  3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You can see the stepper driver cards from the top of the RAMPS. They have the heat-sinks on them

Ramps1_4.png

5. Nicola Gibson

Nicola Gibson New Member

Thank you very much Mark
    That’s really helpful
    It’s working again at the moment so I will let sleeping dogs lie for now and use your check list when it occurs next.
    I’m very grateful for your time!

All best

Nicola

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mark tomlinson likes this.