1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Extruder switched off. MAXTEMP triggered !

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by wakawaka, Feb 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wakawaka

wakawaka New Member

Im trying to run my new printer (just received yesterday) with ABS at 240C but the printer crashes at high temp. I noticed I could maintain 220 with out any issues so I manually increased the temp to try to find the max temp before the crash. After some slow manual increments I found that my printer craps out at about 234 which unfortunately is not hot enough to extrude my ABS. Here is the error:

< 10:15:42 PM: FIRMWARE_NAME:Marlin V1; Sprinter/grbl mashup for gen6 FIRMWARE_URL:http://www.mendel-parts.com PROTOCOL_VERSION:1.0 MACHINE_TYPE:RoBo 3D EXTRUDER_COUNT:1
    < 10:19:39 PM: Error:0
    < 10:19:39 PM: : Extruder switched off. MAXTEMP triggered !
    < 10:19:39 PM: Error:printer stopped due to errors. Fix the error and use M999 to restart. (Temperature is reset. Set it after restarting)
    Ive read here in the forums that other people run ABS at 240-245 without any issues. Any suggestions on what I can do to reach those temps? Is there a max setting that I didn't adjust somewhere or is my unit defective?
    Oh and my printer did not come with the plastic rod that inserts into the spool. I would print one but I have that temp issue. :)

2. Billm

Billm Member

Does your printer have a fan cooling the controller? The controller is located where the USB cable plugs into the robo. I was having an issue with abs as I could not get the bed to go to 95c. I used a 12v computer fan out of an old computer and put it under the robo pointing at the controller and it fixed the problem of resettable fuse cutting out. I understand that the new series of robo's already have this fan.

3. Seshan

Seshan Active Member

The Max temp is a safety feature, if you have the originally nozzle that came with the robo, you can't even print at 240, your nozzle will melt. You need to get a all metal nozzle, like the E3D. Also, I've never heard anyone printing ABS at 240.

4. Billm

Billm Member

Maybe my thermistor is in error, but I have to print abs at 240/230, and it does! I also have to print pla at 220/210 to get strong prints and no strings.

5. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

couple of things..

Like Seshan stated.......Max temp is a safety feature built into the firmware so you don't get a hot end meltdown. If you trigger this.... that pretty much means you tried to heat it over the set firmware value.

I don't remember but i think the max temp for the stock hot end as configured from robo is 240c. I don't have their recent updated firmware in front of me to take a look. But for peek hot ends such as the robos 240c+/- is somewhere in the melting point of your peek hot end. (keep in mind this is probably a conservative number)

I've seen people go over that limit by changing the max temp firmware value with some other configuration changes. be aware you'll need to have a hot end cooling fan to keep the peek cool enough. That along with the filament extruding through will sometimes allow you to run up to 260c. (the filament pushing through acts as a cooling medium also taking the heat away from the peek hot end) I don't recommend this because if your fan breaks down and/or your filament stops extruding.......well you end up getting a hot end meltdown.

another note.. if you haven't calibrated your printing temps with a contact type meter. Then you'll never know what your actually printing temperatures are. 240 in rephost.. isn't necessarily 240 at the hotend.... thermistors dont just get errors.. they either work or they don't.

6. Melody Bliss

Melody Bliss New Member

The MAXTEMP for Robo 3D is actually 235c, at least according to the last firmware publicly posted by them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

7. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yea, like Seshan said if you really need to print that hot, get an E3D. The thermistors vary in accuracy so the best print temp can easily vary from printer to printer (and frankly each spool can be a bit different).

8. wakawaka

wakawaka New Member

Thanks of the info everyone but now I have a few more questions.

1. Can the firmware be modified? If so please point me in the right direction.
    2. Is there a data sheet to confirm what the "stock hot end"/extruder temperatures are? I don't want to damage it, its best to stay within the manufacturers specific ratings but if the firmware is limiting the heat capabilities then I would like to take a look.
    3. Is the ABS plastic purchased directly from Robo3D capable of melting properly under 234?

9. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

>1. Can the firmware be modified? If so please point me in the right direction.<
    There are a couple of threads on this, it is posted/linked and can be downloaded, tweaked and loaded into the printer. here is the latest:

http://forums.robo3dprinter.com/index.php?posts/13129/

>2. Is there a data sheet to confirm what the "stock hot end"/extruder temperatures are? I don't want to damage it, its best to stay within the manufacturers specific ratings but if the firmware is limiting the heat capabilities then I would like to take a look.<

Not that I am aware of, but due to the plastic (PTFE) liner in the stock hot-end, 230 is I think the limit.

>3. Is the ABS plastic purchased directly from Robo3D capable of melting properly under 234?<
    Yes. I have printed ABS (theirs and others) at less that than by a fair bit. There is some variance for every spool and some variance for the electronics accuracy (the thermistor and RAMPS board) but there should be no need to go that high for off-the-shelf ABS.

10. Melody Bliss

Melody Bliss New Member

You can find links and instructions on how to load new firmware on the Robo 3D User's FAQ which you can find at http://lele.io/robo3dfaq

See section A.3. for the forum link to the firmware. I forget what section is the instructions on how to do the firmware update. Actually just looked. It's section B.9.

Let me know if the instructions are unclear and if so, how they are. I'll modify them to clear them up. :)

Mel

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.