1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Feeling silly need a little help

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by sofiadragon1979, Jan 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sofiadragon1979

I was running a print & the spool came to the end & I didn't catch it in time & now the filament is way into the hot end & I can't seem to get the new filament to go through, can I get some tips here please.

2. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

Just heat the hot end up and push the filament down with something rigid that is about 1.75mm. I like to use an allen wrench.
    Don't be afraid to heat the hot end higher than you normally do if it doesn't want to move.

3. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

eventually you're going to have to take the hotend apart for something... hopefully this isn't that. You mightbe able to grab the old filament if you open the extruder.. but careful.. once those screws reach the end of the thread, they shoot off into the darkness.

4. sofiadragon1979

Well I got it through, now I'm just having some issues getting my new filament in, it's just being stubborn lol. If I didn't have back issues then I'd be able to get it set up w/ no issues.

5. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

I feel for you. Hurt my neck and shoulder over the holidays and it does make it remarkably more difficult to run one the printer. If you haven't tried it yet, taking the spring loading screws off of the extruder so that it can open wide up makes it a lot easier.

6. sofiadragon1979

This is from an injury that I got back in 2000, & no doc wants to do anything about it. But I have been trying to avoid taking that apart 'cause I have trouble every time I need to put in new filament. But I will keep that in the back of my mind.

7. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

well.. I guess that's why they call it dis-abled. find a new place for the printer.... or remove the top.

8. Robert Choban

Robert Choban Active Member

Printed Solid, if you take the spring loading screws off of the extruder each time you load new filament , do you have to re-adjust the tension on the screws each time. How do you know how much tension to put against the hobble bolt.

9. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

You should be able to grip the tensioner and pull it open to feed in new filament.

10. Robert Choban

Robert Choban Active Member

If you want to clean the hobble bolt do you have take out the screws so you can get to it and if you do then you will have to do some adjusting of tension on the screws???. How much tension is good???

11. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Yes to clean the hobbed bolt you need to remove the screws. Enough tension to grip the filament but not too much it grinds. It's trial and error

12. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

Well... That and... Turn the wheel by hand with the tip heated. Turn it at the maximum rate your printer seems to print. It skips or it doesnt。
    You can also send a command to extrude 100mm at your print max rate and adjust thile thats going on

13. sofiadragon1979

I bit the bullet, snipped the zip tie holding the print head cables to the frame & took the hood off, then getting a good look @ the printer head I noticed something else there was a piece of filament sticking out of the back right side of the print head, I got that out & then almost instantly I was able to get the new filament through, so I am now back to printing, thank you to everyone for your help it was immensely helpful.

3 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.