1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Filament extrusion issues

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Nate Lowrie, Nov 8, 2016.

1. Nate Lowrie

Nate Lowrie New Member

Well, my robo R1+ was working good. Then, tonight I had a weird filament issue I cannot explain. First, here's my upgrades:
    • Marlin 1.1.0 firmware from WheresWaldo.
    • OctoPrint server on a Raspberry PI.
    • Simplify3D for the slicer.
    I successfully print about a half dozen prints in this configuration including feet for the robot and a rather large Optimus Prime figurine for my son. I turn on the printer today and the setup looks fine, but I ran into a weird issue. Here's the facts:
    • Ran a print. I have the start gcode set to prime the extruder before print start. The extruder primes nicely with a quick 3mm priming sequence. Filament moves into the hot end and appears out the nozzle. The print starts. For some reason the filament is not feeding into the hot end. I can see the gear turning.
    • I stop the print. I set the temperature through the admin interface and did a manual extrude of 5mm which worked. Filament fed through and came out the nozzle like it was supposed to. Retract works too.
    • Ran a different print and it happened again. Did the manual extrude and it worked just fine.
    • I cleaned out the hobbled bolt just to be safe. It wasn't too bad.
    • So, this time I put a mark on the filament with marker and sure enough it moves with manual extrude commands in the interface but not during a print.
    At one point OctoPrint disconnect to do an unhandled temp probe. I suspect the hot end heater or temp probe is malfunctioning causing the filament to be blocked? Every time I did a manual feed I had to set the temp of the hot end manually to 210 and did it shortly after it reaching temp. I don't think it's a hard jam because I can manually extrude with GCode. I also think the OctoPrint server is running ok because the extruder gear is turning. It's all very weird.

Any thoughts?

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I'd start simple and see what happens when octoprint is not connected (run sd or usb). Were all your successful prints done without a restart of the printer? Then you restarted and had the issue?

3. Nate Lowrie

Nate Lowrie New Member

Geof,

They were done over the course of 4 days. I turned off the printer and the OctoPi server at least a few times during that stretch.

I will try it using MC and see what happens.

4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Ok it makes me wonder about your offset then. If it extrudes in the air but the first layer doeant either your to close to the bed or you have a jam :) (at this stage of diagnosis)

Nate Lowrie likes this.
  5. Nate Lowrie

Nate Lowrie New Member

I will check that. I had adjusted the offset properly. I will raise it up to a high level and check if it extrudes.

6. Nate Lowrie

Nate Lowrie New Member

Also, why I am thinking about it. The current home routine does one touch point in the center of the plate for the Z-Axis. Traditionally I have always homed each side of the gantry individually on my CNC router. What is the adjustment mechanism if the Z-Axis leadscrews get out of alignment?