1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Filament gets brittle during print and breaks below hobb

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Johnh, Aug 14, 2019.

1. Johnh

Johnh New Member

Hi first time posting
    I have an Robo 3D r1 +. I have printed with it for about 3 years or a little more. The problem I am having is with PLA. I did 1 print of a pocket watch holder and it came out nice.
    I decided to print 2 more at the same time. I added an Oiler and a drop of vegetable oil to cotton. The print started and printed the flat base of the part. Then it kept moving but not extruding as the filament was broke. Just a the base of the bobbed wheel. Had to take it apart to get it cleaned out.
    When I started to set up to print again I found the filament turned brittle and broke very easily. I followed the brittleness until I got to more pliable material. Cut a few inches back and loaded the material. Had good flow correct size and restarted the print. No changes but kept the Oiler.
    Has anyone else experienced a problem like this. Tonight I will clean it again and try the print but without the Oiler to see if that was the cause or qt least appears to be.
    Thanks

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yes, your PLA has gotten ... "wet"
    That is it has absorbed moisture from the air.
    When PLA gets wet , it gets brittle.

You can dry out a roll by storing it in a container with desiccant (not the small packets -- something like DampRid) for a while.
    I would suggest keeping it stored that way when not in use.

Some folks will suggest the bake-it-dry method, but that is probably not the best approach :)