1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Partial Answer Filament hard to push through extruder

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Lasse Knudsen, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Lasse Knudsen

Lasse Knudsen Member

Greetings,
    I have several robo3D printers, however one of them has an issue with "normal" PLA, in that it will always gnaw into it so it cannot longer extrude. This does not happen, with stiff PLA from Sculpto. (Semitransparent)
    I dont know exactly how the hotend is build, but it seems that there might be two holes that do no fully allign. That is my theory anyway. This causes a lot of friction and the softer pla plastics are not able to be extruded.
    I have tried temerpatures from 210 to 225 and the problem remains the same.

Has anyone experienced something like this? and is there a way to realign this

I think this robo3d is one that does not have the quick release hotend, but it does have white diodes installed.

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Have you seasoned the extruder?

Is the tension on the filament ok? (screws tight)

I'd look for something broken if the motor is turning as it should. I'd also consider (if you think its the hotend) swapping from one machine to the other (just the hotend) to see if the problem follows since you have that as an option. If you dont want to or arnt comfortable doing so thats ok, just an option :D

3. Paul Arnold

Paul Arnold Member

If you are using a hot end holder that isn't quick release, I have found that there is a slight bit of play. I use a syringe needle from an ink filling syringe, it's just slightly smaller than the filament, and I have had luck aligning the hot end with the feed tube that way. I also had a similar problem with my printer, and it actually turned out the the cooling fan for the hot end was not spinning sufficiently and the plastic was getting soft in the upper chamber and jambing, and would then get all chewed up. You might want to look into the fan. Also, raising the temp of the extruder makes the problem even worse if your fan isn't up to speed.