1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved File Bad?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by aznhlfan, May 10, 2017.

1. aznhlfan

aznhlfan Active Member

I printed an STL file of mine lastnight, and it printed perfectly. Then I downloaded a file from thingverse right after and it printed about a quarter of it then started printing in the air. Is this a bad file, all I need to do is run it through netfabb, or is the file to corrupt?

Sent from my Galaxy S7 using Tapatalk

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Certainly verify it with Netfabb or Simplify, whatever validation tools you have.

aznhlfan likes this.
  3. aznhlfan

aznhlfan Active Member

Could it be that just the file is bad, or is it my printer? On another note, when I was printing out my own file (which printed fine), the stepper motor was making a grinding type noise, then stopped halfway through the print. Is the stepper going out?

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Not sure what you mean by that grinding noise. If the printer makes grinding noises it is usually the belt skipping because something is preventing a axis from moving... If the stepper was making that noise then it is probably going out.

aznhlfan likes this.
  5. aznhlfan

aznhlfan Active Member

I am pretty sure it was the stepper, but I will check the belts. It still printed just fine. The deal with the other problem, I will run the file through netfabb when I get home from work tonight.

6. mclemens7

mclemens7 Member

try running a test print, if its printing in the air then you have a clogged nozzle, and my stepper motor squeaks when it retracts it could be your stepper just retracting.