1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Finally found a thermally conductive, conductive insulating adhesive for E3D hotend

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by SoLongSidekick, Apr 9, 2014.

1. SoLongSidekick

SoLongSidekick Active Member

So I just used kapton to secure my thermistor to my E3D v5 hotend because every single adhesive I could find under "fire cement" or "muffler putty" was either thermally insulating (would insulate thermistor, giving false low readings) or electrically conductive (obviously bad). I must have called 20 companies and checked 50+ MSDS sheets. In retrospect, I should have called 3M way earlier but whatever. I finally found the perfect compound for securing thermistors. It is expensive as hell (~$70) but I was able to convince someone into sending me a sample tube. As I will not be using all of it I have no problem sending the tube to anyone else who wants to use it when I am done. Here is the Mouser page: http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...810-37ML/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMsQhHk0pdFgpuzChyZ3tIjZ.

Before using the stuff I am going to be comparing what the thermisor reads and the outside temp of the heater block with my kapton setup, and would love it a few people using different brands of "fire cement" would do the same so we could compare all different methods (including this new 3M stuff) and see how much of a difference the varying setups make. That would be very interesting and useful for future users.

2. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

I am interested in it as well I have multiple to set up so a nice working product would be nice to have

3. JohnStack

JohnStack New Member

Me no want fire cement. I love the screw-in. :)

2 people like this.
  4. warlocke

warlocke Active Member

Might want to double check the specs on this and one of the data sheets I read on it indicated a flashpoint of 170c:

Operating Temperature Range (Celsius) Long Term (Weeks-Months) 80 to 100 Degree C
    Operating Temperature Range (Celsius) Short Term
    (Hours-Days) 125 to 140 Degree C

5. SoLongSidekick

SoLongSidekick Active Member

Yeah I saw that but it contradicts other information listed. Have a call in to 3M as we speak.

6. CAMBO3D

CAMBO3D New Member

I wouldn't advise to use this. due to the nature of the thermistor. leads can break very easily.

Once you have the compound in there. Your gonna have a fun time trying to get the old thermistor out. That stuff is an epoxy compound..
    http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediaw...82B4Y_1evUqe17zHvTSevTSeSSSSSS--&fn=00443.pdf

7. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

already have parts on order to rebuild all my hotends and have a few extra so i can give both a shot