1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

First day blues - can't get anything to extrude - help pls!

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by kojacker, Nov 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

First of all the E3d is just hotend it has nothing to do with a heated bed Here is the link to the basic version there is also one with a bowden fixture on it

http://e3d-online.com/E3D-V5-1.75mm-Direct-All-Metal-HotEnd

I believe his prices went up I paid 39 pounds now they are showing 44 pounds

2. WizardStan

WizardStan Member

So after sitting for a few weeks while waiting for a new spool of filament, I believe my hot end may also be clogged. It similarly only allows me to feed about 3cm in. When I first tried feeding my new stuff at 190 degrees, some of the old stuff did start oozing out the tip, but that stopped after a bit and I couldn't press on any further. Are there any good instructions on how to disassemble this safely for cleaning?

edit: ok, my sense of measurement is off. It is easily sliding 5cm in but then it stops. No amount of wiggling seems to help. Still likely to be a jam that needs cleaning or should I just keep wiggling and snipping it until it fits?

3. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

hmmm the distance seems to be very close to point where the filament becomes molten so it should be going straight through at that point but there have been a few cases recently where the PTFE tube that you r putting the filament through is cracking at the end causing the blockage and the described a very similar experience so that could be the same issue. if it is cracked you can get replacements from ROBO but you are going to go through a lot of work and not be that much better off. You will have an hotend that is rated to go to 230 and as we have seen is suceptible to issues a new all metal hotend may be the route to takejust a slight more bit of work and the end result is about 1000 times better it is more durable and will allow you to extrude hotter and explore a much wider range of material(now getting them to stick without other help is still an issue but some may work well but need the higher heat)

There is a ROBO video floating around on how to replace the PTFE tube but it does not farily show the difficulties you could experience removing the two main screws they can be VERY difficult.

Sadly though, I do not have the link

4. WizardStan

WizardStan Member

I'd be surprised if it were a crack. It was working great a couple weeks ago, no problems threading and removing filament, then it just sat there doing nothing for a while waiting for me to get more.

5. WizardStan

WizardStan Member

So one way or another something obviously isn't where it is supposed to be and I need to take something apart in order to fix it. What are my options? Do I just start removing screws until it comes apart? Or is there a short cut, just one specific part I need to pay attention to?

6. Jason Chinsen

Jason Chinsen New Member

This looks great, are they easy to install onto the Robo3d? Do I need a heated bed if I want to print ABS? If so is there one that you can recommned as well?

Thanks,
    Jason

7. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Yes if you want to print ABS I would get a robo with the heatbed already installed it takes quite a bit to get the frmware coded so you can use the heatbed so it is not just simply adding one

8. Jason Chinsen

Jason Chinsen New Member

Thank you for all your help. I have ordered the replacement print head and will keep you poseted after installed. (Is there a how that I can preview?)

Thanks
    Jason

9. WizardStan

WizardStan Member

Quick update: the nozzle had indeed gotten clogged. I took practically the entire thing apart before realizing I only needed to remove two screws to get the hot end off. Everything back together and working just fine again. Other than I can't get this new filament to stick to the bed, but that's a completely different problem :p

10. Jason Chinsen

Jason Chinsen New Member

Quick update, got the new head and installed it. The quality is much better than the one that came with the printer and it is working great. only issue is that the thermistor has ~ 15oC off set ... is there a way to cal this in repetier?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.