1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved First Layer Issue Over Time

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by teaguer, Jan 17, 2016.

1. teaguer

teaguer New Member

Hi,
    I'm using a Robo3D R1, Auto Leveling, MatterSlice.

Recently I've been having issues with my parts sticking to the bed, especially the support material. The same setup I used in July, now doesn't seem to print as well in January. I'm using the same software, same type of PLA, same slicer etc. At some point between July and January, I did remove the Z axis lead screws to clean and lubricate them because they started squeaking. But, as you can see from the pic attached, the part on the right done in July has a better first layer than the part on the left, done this month (January).

Some investigation on this site seems to point to the Z-Offset, so I will be adjusting that to see if it helps. Should also help my support material to stick.

When I lubricated the Z axis screws, I adjusted the height of each using a decent caliper, thinking auto leveling would take care of any small adjustments, is that not a reasonable conclusion?

Also, could the change in humidity in my print area (50% in July, 35% in January) cause this to happen?

Attached Files:

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Change in humidity will affect prints because most filaments will absorb moisture and that does tend to have a negative impact.
    BUT, the most I usually get from wet filament is minor surface defects due to the steam bubbles.
    (Some (like nylon) are aggressively hydrophillic and this does not help)

All that aside the Z offset is the first place to look. Run some 1 layer test models and get it turned in right. If it is not correct then you will absolutely not get good performance on support material. Auto-leveling assumes the X is fairly level and even if it works correctly the CORRECT Z offset is required to account for the minor variations in hardware (belts, pulleys, bearings).

Unless you do something (like you did working on the printer) the Z offset should not change.

So, really, I think you are on the correct path fixing the Z offset. Just wanted to let you know that humidity does play a small role, but not likely having any effect on this.

3. teaguer

teaguer New Member

Mark, thanks for the reply. What increment would you suggest changing the Z offset, my thought was 0.1MM.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Sure, that is perfect. Do some one layer test prints (or just print skirts).

5. teaguer

teaguer New Member

So, the Z-offset was the ticket, I've been chasing other things. Attached is the before (left) and after pics.

Thanks for the help!

Attached Files:

mark tomlinson likes this.