1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

First Layer Issue

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Darrell, May 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darrell

Darrell Member

I still haven't been able to successfully print anything all the way through but I think I'm getting closer. My old system died so now I'm forced to use Windows 8. Everything is installed, connected, and working. Here's my issue: The print starts well enough but very soon after goes from beautiful lines to melted butter. Does anyone know how I can correct this?

I'm using the latest version of matter control, cura slicing, most recent R1 firmware, ABS Temp 233c, Bed temp 110c. I'm using black ABS I purchased directly from the Robo 3D site. I'm using ABS Juice to stick the print to the bed. I've also included the files I'm attempting to print. 20140519_181451.jpg

Attached Files:

2. savior2064

savior2064 Member

Have you tried different temps, and maybe raise the z axis .1 or .2 mm up.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

From the description I would guess that the temp may be a little high.
    I would suggest this:
    1) make sure the initial temp and the later ones are the same. 1st layers same as others (just to simplify this). If you print the 1st layer at 220, print them all at 220. For now.
    2) The initial layer that I can see in the picture looks good (at least on the left). Make sure your bed is actually level. I used a test print (2 layers, 3 big concentric circles that covered the whole bed--attached). Make certain that it is the same all the way around and that you are not fighting one side/area being slightly high/low which throws off the layering enough to make a mess (tesseracts bed levelers solve this problem). The fact that it is worse on the right versus the left makes this a real possibility.
    3) In all fairness this looks like a temperature related issue so I would also play with the calibration object at different temps to find what works best for that spool.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.