1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

First layer question.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by John M. Fruits, Nov 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John M. Fruits

I have a question regarding the first (actually the second) layer settings within Repieter. I have the first layer set at .35mm in Slicr3, and I am setting the bed height with a "sheet of paper" (I did purchase a dial indicator, and actually made a pretty cool mount that sits across the "X" axis rods, which I will upload), and I'll get a nice first layer. My problem is when it prints the second layer, it is a little to high and I get strings in the infill, and the first and second layer perimeters are not bonding well. If I am able to act quick enough, I can turn the "Z" axis threaded rods counter clockwise, and the print stops "stringing" the infill. so, my assumption is the jump to the second layer is too much. I have amazing printed layers from layer 3 onward.

My real question is this first layer height setting related to results or expectations. Am I "attempting" to put .35mm down as a first layer, or am I telling Repeiter that I am "getting" my first layer at .35mm? I am assuming I need to adjust this entry, I just wondered which way I need to go!

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I think we'd need to see a picture of your first layer to get an idea if that's the issue.

It needs to be fairly flattened but not so much so it's not laying down all the material. Takes some practice and a good eye but once you "get it" it's easy to tell when you have a good layer.

3. John M. Fruits

Ok.....
    Here is a picture of the top.....and you can see where I slightly adjusted it, and the second picture is of the bottom.

Thanks again for all your help! I love tinkering with this stuff!

Attached Files:

4. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

John when starting out I suggest using the same height for the two values
    the height and first layer height it is the most consistant way to get good prints faster
    the research I have found says the the first layers should be in a rnage of 80-100% of the layer height so 100% falls into that guideline I do not think yours does. Give that a shot first and you can focus on getting teh first layer to look good and go from there

5. John M. Fruits

Honestly, that is what I figured. If you get a good "squish" (not to much but enough to get a good bond/completely filled first later, I don't see how it could be more that the first later height. I run .2mm (I find that is a good clean print)but I have my first later height set at .35mm (defaults). I'm thinking is needs to be closer to the .2mm.

Thanks again for the great response(s).

6. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

it NEEDS to be .2mm LOL

7. John M. Fruits

Funny! See this is what you get when you sell high tech stuff to beginners! So, now I understand why it says "it can be entered in a percentage" this way when you change layers heights, this will follow accordingly.

WOW! I feel dumb.....

8. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

no biggie its a learning curve

2 people like this.
  9. John M. Fruits

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.