1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Fixing a C2?

Discussion in 'Projects' started by Trevshand, Dec 1, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trevshand

Trevshand New Member

I was given a project C2. By that I mean a buddy was moving and he said he had a C2 that was not working and wanted to know if I wanted it. I said sure, but now I don't know where to start. He had said the screen was out, so he ordered a new screen. Once I got it and took a look at it, it seems a wire is removed from it harness or whatever the plastic things at the end of the ribbon are called. Thoughts on where to start? How can I find out where all these wires go back to? Anything else I should know? Thank you. Trevor 20231201_112735small.jpg 20231201_112735small.jpg 20231201_112726small.jpg

Attached Files:

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

One end of the ribbon cable goes to the Raspberry Pi (seems like you have that installed) and the other end goes to the LCD screen. The two red wires are the touch screen feedback to the Pi (the ribbon cable has the data and video).

If you need a picture I can get you one of it installed.

3. Trevshand

Trevshand New Member

A picture or two would be amazing! Thank you.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

PXL_20231208_231905718_small.jpg PXL_20231208_231900652.MP_small.jpg PXL_20231208_231909740_small.jpg Here you go.

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Red wires go back to the filament run out sensor.

6. Trevshand

Trevshand New Member

Thank you!! I'll go try it out.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The smaller cable in the middle is what brings the SD card for the Pi out to the front to make it easy for me to swap what image it is running. -- not a stock cable :)

8. Trevshand

Trevshand New Member

I think I have things hooked up correctly now, but now my screen is just white. I unplugged and replugged all the cables as suggested on your help page. The Raspberry Pi has a solid red light. I even changed Raspberry Pis as I had one laying around. Someone else on one of the forum posts suggested I reimage my SD card? Thoughts?

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If the only light on the Pi from the time you boot it is a red one .. it is not booting.

Reimagine the SD card

10. Trevshand

Trevshand New Member

Any chance there is a step by step on how to do this? I went to the forums and there seem to be lots of bits and pieces but no start to finish. It also seems I need to know my C2's IP address? How do I find that?

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

go to your printer's touchscreen and go to Utilities > Network > Network Status to find the printer's IP address and hostname.

13. Trevshand

Trevshand New Member

Sorry I went out of town and am just getting back to this. I follow these directions but the .zip file I went is the Robo_C2_GPIO_v2.zip since I have a C2 printer, correct?

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

15. Trevshand

Trevshand New Member

I am trying to follow the Arduino instructions above, but it is looking for an .ino file and when I extract the files from Robo_GPIO_v2.zip I only see an .img file. Screen shot attached.

Attached Files:

16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

That is an SD card image you can burn it to an empty SD card with Win32DiskImager or whatever software you prefer and use that SD card in the Pi inside the printer.

If you want the Marlin source for the C2 it is over here: https://help.robo3d.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000722912-How-to-update-C2-Firmware
    see: 4. Right click and copy this link address: C2 Firmware (selecting that link that will download a HEX file which the Aduino IDE can use to reload the software).

As best I can tell the last Robo updates including the Marlin source for R2/C2 software are over here: https://github.com/Robo3D

The R1/R1+ was a lot easier and we had full source available for that in an easier to consume form.
    Sadly Robo went away too soon after the C2/R2 release so we have scraped together what we can.

17. Trevshand

Trevshand New Member

I am up and running!!! I seriously cannot thank you enough. I'll need to learn how to use this printer now, it is my understanding that I'll need to get a desktop program and find places to download schematics until I learn to build my own, but it is up and runnig. If there is anything I can do to say thank you, please let me know.

18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Excellent! Have fun :)

Ideally you want a slicer of some sort (Cura, Reptier Host, MatterControl, Simplify3D, etc.) to turn the 3D cad (stl files) into a printable object. If you can learn (or already know) 3D CAD and how to create models that opens an endless vista of stuff to do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.