1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Fried machine?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by rjackson588, Oct 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rjackson588

rjackson588 New Member

First time posting here! Wish it wasn't on these terms. Sorry if this has been posted, I couldn't find it. But anyways.

I had just ordered the R1 off amazon a few days ago. It just came into today, so while I was setting it up. I plugged everything in fine and dandy. I flicked the power switch, heard some clanking/rattling which sounded like something was just clipping a fan blade. So I let it run for about 30 seconds hoping it would just fix itself. I was just about to start setting up MatterControl when I hear a loud pop come from the printer. I looked back, it shut it self off. I was like okay not that bad. Upon further investigation it blew the fuse 5A 250V fuse. Which doesn't make any sense to me as the dam thing is less then a minute old. The power switch itself is also stuck in the "on" position. So I replaced the fuse in hopes that it might have just been on its last legs or something.

Went to plug it back in, as soon as the plug hit the socket I heard a loud noise. It's kinda hard to describe but it sounded like electrical arcing to me. As soon as I heard the sound I pulled the plug back out. Soon after that, it started to give off that electrical smell. I pulled off the bottom panel and started looking around. To my limited electrical knowledge, it doesn't look like there's anything out of place or anything fried. The RAMPS board still gives off the green light when it's plugged into the PC. So I'm assuming it's something to do with the power supply itself.

I did send a ticket in but I'm hoping it's just something stupid on my end that will be solved quick enough here.

Thanks

2. rjackson588

rjackson588 New Member

Feel free to delete this thread actually, upon further investigation this isn't something I'm going to dick with since it started shooting sparks at me from the power supply. So I'm just returning it to Amazon.

3 people like this.
  3. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

That's unfortunate. Might have been a faulty power supply. I'm not sure really, that's a new one for me

4. Peter Krska

Peter Krska Active Member

This might be an obvious question, but have you check the voltage switch? Is it backwards?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk in Canada

5. rjackson588

rjackson588 New Member

I did, it was set to 115. Which is pretty standard. Made sure of that after reading the default setting was 230. Truthfully I'm really not sure what went on. I replaced the fuse with one I bought from radioshack, it was a time delay fuse so I'm not sure if that was different. It was just a T5AL250V.

I had a quick chat with Amazon so they're going to take it back. If it was something simple I probably would have kept it to figure it out, but after it shot sparks at me I figured it was beyond my knowledge. So all's well for me at least.

6. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Just to be sure, when you got it it did work, at least for a little while? That would eliminate a wiring mistake.

I have heard of those power supplies going bad, never with sparks though. I wonder if a short happened somewhere that over amped the power supply...

7. rjackson588

rjackson588 New Member

It worked and lit up for about 30 seconds. I didn't get much further then plugging it in and flicking the power switch before it blew the fuse. I did take a peak at the wiring and it didn't look like anything had burnt itself. But since it did start up I'd guess it's not the wiring. My guess is the power supply was bad from the start. If the Robo3d Team want me to write like a quick serial number on the top of the machine I could do that. It would signify that this is the one that had the problems. That'd probably be something you'd have to discuss with them, Mike.

Truthfully I'm pretty hesitant to get another one because of the problems I ran into.

8. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I understand your concern. That's disappointing it happened. I wish you had a better experience. Any way I could get some pictures?

9. rjackson588

rjackson588 New Member

I can take some before I send it out. Anything specific you want to see? Probably the wiring config going from the switch to the supply right? I can get those to you in a few hours.

10. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Yup. that would be appreciated. It's more than likely a defective power supply and would be a quick fix, but I can appreciate why you just want to wash your hands of it.

11. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

You'll need to use the share link option for those. I suggest imgur.com as well

The ramps board still working all but verifies the issue was isolated to the power supply.

12. rjackson588

rjackson588 New Member

Updated, sorry bout that. Looked like it worked but only when I was logged in.

13. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Thanks. Definitely not seeing any damage. Just a faulty PSU.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.